Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 - Still a must have?

Feedback Score

Vltor A5 - Still a must have?

I have been researching each part to build my first AR and decided to go with BCM for most of the parts. I have an upper on the way from BCM 16" ELW 13" KMR. I have plans on using a BCM lower also and find that they are sold with the receiver extension already attached. I am trying to build this right the first time even though more builds may follow. Should I use the BCM tube or upgrade to the Vltor A5 system from the start?

My intentions for the rifle are to use for classes and range use.

I have researched the A5 system and realize the benefits. I am looking for current opinions from those that have experience with and without it to guide me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The only conceivable negative about the VLTOR A5 that I can think of would be if you shoot with armor and like a short LOP to begin with as it will add about an inch to your shortest LOP and you must research what stocks will be compatible with it. I don't think it's ever been a "must have", but it almost undeniably smooths recoil out along with increasing reliability. Worth the money? That is for you to decide.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice addition, not a "must have", that smoothes out the recoil impulse. Not dramatic, but noticeable.

Last edited by Hmac; 02-15-14 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    I have one on a 16" carbine gassed rifle and it seemed a bit smoother than even an H2 buffer.

Tried it with my new 18 SPR upper last night, VERY smooth.

I don't think its a must have but it does work.

cpoth Guest
    I think they are well worth it. I started with one just on a rifle I used for competition and since put one on my SBR as well. I find that recoil is significantly affected, I had H2s in both rifles prior to the switch. I hadn't had much in terms of reliability issues (in fact I don't think I had any outside of magazine issues from overuse) prior to installing the A5 and after about 1.5 years of use I haven't had any problems (I am also better about tossing a mag after it fails me once). Every time I appreciate the recoil impulse decrease I am also comforted by the fact I have increased the rifle's reliability. Again, I would say that it is worth the investment.

cpoth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After installing one, it will be on every rifle I build in the future. I've even debated disassembling others just to add the A5. It's as good as advertised and then some.

Feedback Score
    Well from the feedback I have heard so far I will be getting one. How many buffers do you keep on hand for your rifles? I assume at least two depending on ammo.
    Last edited by Karinger; 02-15-14 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the A5, just the standard A5 buffers... I have not had to change to anything else.

As far as carbine extension buffers, I have an H, H2, and H3 all in my rifle bin. The H buffer replaces the H3 in my beater carbine if I bring out the Russian steel case stuff to shoot.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The A5 is one of those items when assembling a new rifle that is factored in. There is no other RE I want. Like deciding on what kind of light. No debate, just a Surefire.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karinger View Post
    Well from the feedback I have heard so far I will be getting one. How many buffers do you keep on hand for your rifles? I assume at least two depending on ammo.
    I'm also curious about this. Do you guys just find whichever buffer will work with the lowest pressure ammo you run and keep that in there, or do you all stock multiple buffers for different ammo? And how does it increase reliability?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast