Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone installed a BoneSteel folding stock set on their AK?

Feedback Score

Anyone installed a BoneSteel folding stock set on their AK?

I'm thinking of trying a BoneSteel folding stock set on one of my stamped AKs and was wondering if anyone else had tried it on an AK, a VEPR, or Saiga? I like that I don't have to cut the tang or change the rear trunion in any way. But I'm wondering a couple of things ...

1. Did the screw holes line up exactly or did you have to re-drill or mod the trunion or folding mechanism at all?

2. Does it lock up tight with no wobble when extended? Two of my AKs came with Tapco folders and they sucked balls. I also fired a Bulgy x39 with a Magpul CTR on some brand of folding AR tube and it was not fully stable, either. Don't wanna repeat those two experiences.

3. I use KVAR Nato length stocks on all my fixed stock AKs. On most of them I use a mini red dot on an Ultimak rail, but one is scoped with a low power CQB and another has a Nikon shotgun scope. How much length did the Bonesteel add to the stock, overall? As in ... if I order the NATO length folding set stock will it require me to reset my scopes for proper eye relief over the KVAR NATO length plastic stock?

4. When folded to the right, does it interfere with the charging handle to the extent it cannot be fired? No, I don't expect to the attacked by zombie hoards or looters in some post-apocalyptic wasteland, but I do practice firing my AMD folder just using the sling to stabilize it as well as I can, and would like to have that capability.

5. Are you totally happy with it?
    Last edited by Phlipper; 02-17-14 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been looking for the same kind of feedback on the Bonesteel folding stock for milled AKs, as it appears to be one of the only options for adding an adjustable stock to a milled receiver, especially without having to modify or remove the tangs. A Google search turned up a number of discussions on different forums over the past few years. Here's a photo comparison posted by a Bonesteel rep that shows their folders alongside the ACE versions:

Side by side comparison, ACE vs Bonesteel

Here is some more feedback on a different forum:

Bonesteel / CNC Warrior Folding Stock

Based on the feedback I've seen, Bonesteel's products sound very solid and well-designed, and I plan to order the folder with the fixed 6-position tube when funds become available.

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 02-17-14 at 22:43.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I had one of them for a slant back Vepr:

1) It was a clean drop in fit; there was no redrilling or mods needed

2) It was very solid with zero play in it. I had a CTR stock on it. At first, activating the hinge was a bit hard - not hard where it was a pain, I just thought they loctited something for an instant. I do live in a ban state though so I thought maybe they took precautions.

I can't answer the rest, but I'm really wanting to know the answer to #4 as well. Mine was a left side folder; I no longer have it since I sold the rifle

Feedback Score
    I just purchased a ace stock.i was hesitant about cutting the tang on my century m74, well i did it and there was some grinding to do but not a prob,i had ordered the middle sized stock length arfx8.5 thinking this was longer than the stock unit...... it was shorter. with the 1/2 inch recoil pad it was the same length as stock. the century m74 is a stamped. after the stock was installed the stock has a ugly drop to it {the m74 ot the back of the reciever is not vertical but angled slightly} and the reciever block is flat changing the angle of the fixed stock .......very pissed off looks like crap, not happy with ace about installing on my type of rifle. they didnt no shit. i would think they should inform people of the peticulars when installing their products. yes i called them before ordering with questions.now stuck with this pos and a cut tang.i wont call back as the damage is done and i would get the same moron as talked to before.sorry about hi jacking your post but thought people should know

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    i have one on a stamped arsenal. It was originally sent with the wrong screws which threw me for a loop when I first received it. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and thought it was not going to work. "Chris" at Bonesteel was very responsive with emails and questions that I had. He said they were a fairly small operation and mistakes happened but fixed the issue right away. It dropped in with relative ease and locks up tight. Some of the material around the hinging part gets shaved away with repeated opening and closing. It is very minimal and I would just say hit it with some duracoat. It locks up tight on mine both in the extension and the way the stock locks up. For me and a CTR with an aimpoint on a TWS Dogleg mount I had to go through a few iterations of cheek risers to get the right height for a good cheek weld.

Last edited by Smash; 02-22-14 at 11:56. Reason: Added picture
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been using one for a year or so and it's the best of the AR stock folders that I've encountered. Extremely solid lock-up with 0 play

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info. I hit all the message board posts on Bonesteel stocks that Google could dig up for me, as well. I have another Ultimak/TRS-25/VTAC mount/Polytac LED combo going on my AMD tomorrow. After that, a Bonesteel folder on one of my AKMs is my next project.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Anyone else have experience with these since this thread was started back in February?

I am looking at getting one of the Bonesteel Arms / CNC Warrior tubular Galil style side folders. All of my Kalashnikovs are no longer being built and or imported so I will not be cutting off any tangs or permanently modifying any of my receivers. And this is the only only stock besides Romanian, E. German, and Polish wire side folders that do not require any modifications.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 10-15-14 at 21:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Mine was drop in that fit perfectly in my Arsenal. I had a CTR on it with a riser. The stock is absolutely ROCK SOLID. You could easily bust down a door with it. Review here - http://fleetingsurvival.com/2012/04/...the-ak-part-5/

Feedback Score
    I have a bonesteel folder. It took forever to get, and I was quoted several different "2 weeks" estimates, but it eventually arrived at the 3 month mark. That aside, it seems very well built and designed. It came packed with lube and operates very smoothly.

It's a right side folder that accepts an AR receiver extension. The hinge adds a little over an inch to the minimum length of pull, so be aware of that. I like my stocks just one notch out from the collapsed position, so this wasn't a huge deal for me.

I have a Krebs extended safety which interferes with the stock when in the SAFE position, but not when the safety is OFF. At least, with my Vltor stock this is the case. I imagine it will be similar with other stocks as well.
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 10-16-14 at 15:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast