Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy M7A1 PDW Stock Kit - Hands On Details Are Here! Only 4"...

Feedback Score

Troy M7A1 PDW Stock Kit - Hands On Details Are Here! Only 4"...

Checkout our other post in the market place forums here to know where to get one, but now that we have PDW Stock Kits in our hands this post is to provide you the details and answer questions about design, functionality, compatibility or whatever else you would like to ask. We are feeling much more comfortable that we now have hands on the PDW we will do our best to answer everything we can with certainty.

As you can see in the picture below, although it's a little are to tell because of the amateur photography, from the point where the stock touches where a normal endplate would go to the back of the pad it is almost exactly 4" long. This means that when in the collapsed position your entire back 1/3 of your gun should only take up 4" making it a great option for CQB and Home Defense weapons or scenarios not to mention being nice and small for easy storage and transport.

From that fully collapsed position there are 5 more adjustment points extending it as far out as 8 and 7/8 of an inch.

For those that are weight conscious, for your AR that is, this entire kit weighs in at 1lb 12.2 oz. When considering everything it replaces that's not too heavy. Buttstock, Buffer Tube, Buffer, Complete Bolt Carrier Group, Buffer Spring, and the Endplate and Castle nut for configurations that would normally require those. All of those things are replaced by the Troy PDW Stock Kit.

Troy PDW Parts w Measure.jpg

Feedback Score
    Two questions:

How aggressive is the stock texture? Could I shoot it with just a tshirt on?

What's the quality/availability of the carrier? I'd hate to swap out my BCM carrier for a lesser product when I'm already potentially exposing myself to malfunctions due to the abbreviated nature of this stock/buffer setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Two questions:

How aggressive is the stock texture? Could I shoot it with just a tshirt on?

What's the quality/availability of the carrier? I'd hate to swap out my BCM carrier for a lesser product when I'm already potentially exposing myself to malfunctions due to the abbreviated nature of this stock/buffer setup.
    Hi 1911-A1,

The texture on the end of the stock is fairly aggressive. Being constructed from billet aluminum all the services are hard so and there are a few points around the edges that may be a little uncomfortable for some people if in direct contact with skin while shooting for an extended period of time. We don't want to make it sound like it's sharp, but at the right angle you can rub the bottom edge of the stock on something with a slightly malleable surface, such as a wooden shooting bench, and make a visible scratch or two.

On the flip side of that, you most definitely don't want to be the person on the receiving end of a butt stroke or smashing blow to the face with an AR outfitted with the PDW! You might look like you lost a fight to waffle iron, if your conscious and not missing teeth that is.

Troy PDW Stock Texture 1.jpg

Troy PDW Stock Texture 2.jpg

As for the BCG, from a strictly visual inspection the BCG looks to be very similar to a high quality standard BCG. It does have the "Troy" and their logo marked on it where it will be visible through the port door opening. It has the forward assist groves in it and a staked gas key along with the complete bolt assembly and firing pin.

Where it gets different is at the end with the proprietary buffer. What we will call the "buffer portion" is just ever so slightly over 2" long and about 1/2" is inserted into the back end of the carrier and then pinned with a pin running from one side of the carrier to the other. A small hole is visible in the 4th forward assist grove from the back of the carrier and that is where the pin is installed. The rest of the buffer that protrudes out the end of the carrier is just about 1 1/2" long bringing the length of the entire unit to 7 1/4 inches (with the bolt pushed back into the firing position).

One thing that we are unable to determine with the naked eye is how the seam between the inner diameter of the carrier and the outer diameter of the buffer "sleeve" is secured or if there is even a seam at all. The closer we look at it the more it appears to be one solid piece of material which is then machined out to create a sleeve for the buffer unit to be installed into and then pinned.

All that being said they really haven't made any drastic changes to the fundamental design of the BCG. In our opinion about 98% of the BCG is just like any other but it's that back 2% for the buffer that is slightly different.

Here are individual part weights:

Retracting Stock = 12.4 oz
    Buffer Tube = 2.6 oz
    Spring = 0.8 oz
    Complete BCG w/ Attached Buffer (Carrier, Complete Bolt, Firing Pin, Staked Gas Key, Cam Pin, & Buffer) = 12.6 oz

Total = 28.4 oz or 1 lb 12.4 oz

If anyone wants any other close up pics of particular parts in the PDW Kit just let us know and we will do our best to provide them.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Was super excited but now have some questions,

- If this is aimed at the PDW crowd (with most AR PDW's that actually work being piston driven) why the required carrier swap? Why not just use a stumpy buffer? This flat out wouldn't work with an Adams carrier that has intregal strike face. Probably could get it to work with a PWS but lack of the ability for buffer weight tuning may cause other issues. Different buffer spring weights available?

Feedback Score
    Interested in getting one of these to add a short stock to my Robinson M-96 or if I can find an adaptor to put on my Beretta AR-70. Do you know whether you can purchase the stock without the BCG or buffer spring since wouldn't require if for the M-96 or AR-70?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Was super excited but now have some questions,

- If this is aimed at the PDW crowd (with most AR PDW's that actually work being piston driven) why the required carrier swap? Why not just use a stumpy buffer? This flat out wouldn't work with an Adams carrier that has intregal strike face. Probably could get it to work with a PWS but lack of the ability for buffer weight tuning may cause other issues. Different buffer spring weights available?
    We don't want to speak for the design team or engineers at Troy as to why they did what they did from a design standpoint because there is a chance, probably a pretty good one, that we would be wrong. So, rather than start rumors made from educated guesses, but still they are guesses, we will only spread what we know to be facts.

Here are some further observations from having the PDW in our hands.

1) With this design there is obviously no use for a buffer retainer and pin since the buffer is part of the BCG.
    2) In relation to the size of the buffer tube, the spring for the PDW is much longer than you would expect. The buffer tube is a small 4 and 1/8 inches long while the spring in it's natural uncompressed state is right about 9" long.
    3) The total length of the PDW BCG & Buffer is the same or with in millimeters of the length of a standard AR-15 BCG.

When you put all of that together it means there is always going to be constant tension from the spring acting on the entire BCG/Buffer combo.

Again these are just observation from what we can see and learn by having one in our hands. It would be very cool if someone from Troy would care to share the specific reasons for the design but something tells us that's a piece of intellectual property they will keep to themselves.

Here is another picture that really helps explain things. Obviously the PDW BCG/Buffer is on the top and a standard but nickel boron BCG is on the bottom. They really didn't come up with a radical new design, mostly they just did a little more work on the CNC machine and inserted the buffer.

PDW BCG Compare.jpg

Seeing that, unless Troy holds the patent and exclusive manufacturing right for this new BCG/Buffer, it wouldn't be too hard for compatible aftermarket parts to start popping up.
    Last edited by Vertex Ops; 10-30-14 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodcolret View Post
    Interested in getting one of these to add a short stock to my Robinson M-96 or if I can find an adaptor to put on my Beretta AR-70. Do you know whether you can purchase the stock without the BCG or buffer spring since wouldn't require if for the M-96 or AR-70?
    Right now we are not aware of Troy offering a part number for just the stock but it might be worth a phone call to Troy to ask.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for response and additional info. I like it and did some reading on it.. Seems it is made for Troy's DI PDW set-up and other DI guns . Makes sense why the did it as they did now.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Looks like you will have to unscrew the tube to get the gun apart. Did I miss something?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Looks like you will have to unscrew the tube to get the gun apart. Did I miss something?
    Just pop both pins and slide the upper forward, no?
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast