Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common AR-10 Problems

Feedback Score

Common AR-10 Problems

What are 5 common problems that tend to occur with mid-range priced AR-10 ($1,000-$1,500)chambered in .308 Win? This goes for Stoner/Dpms and Armalite patterns.

I really can't make up my mind if I want to buy a factory .308 AR-10 or just build one. 1,500 bucks without optics is my limit. Gun will be used for whitetail and hogs at ranges of 50-300 yards.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You're digging into a fairly large pool of problems and solutions when it comes to the AR10 and LR308 style large frame ARs.

First and foremost; 1000-1500 is firmly in the lower end of large frame (308) ARs. Be prepared for that. Are you looking specifically to buy a complete rifle, or build one from parts? This will have a huge impact in answering your question.

Feedback Score
    Another question is a suppressor possibly going to be used, if so a adjustable gas system is needed.
    I have 2 in the price range your asking about. Armalite AR-10T and M&P 10 both are over gassed with can. M&P is not as bad off as Armalite. Is it going to be used blind hunting or stalking, my Armalite is a pig to carry around reminds me of of when I carried a M60 or M249 over 25 years ago. Function wise I have not had any problems with them other than with a suppressor. FYI my Armalite is a AW Ban vintage (converted M14 magazine's) and the reason for me getting M&P 10. Trigger pull on Armalite no complaints, M&P is just like any run of the mill AR trigger.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    After just completing a build on one of these, I have not experienced any issues. I built it for well under $1500 and this included adjustable gas block, in fact everything minus glass. If you do your homework and pick your parts carefully, you should not have issues.
    Read the sticky about AR-10/LR308s and there is some good information in the thread about the Aero Precision .308 receivers. There is plenty of information out right now to get a good parts list to put together a nice gun.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    After just completing a build on one of these, I have not experienced any issues. I built it for well under $1500 and this included adjustable gas block, in fact everything minus glass. If you do your homework and pick your parts carefully, you should not have issues.
    Read the sticky about AR-10/LR308s and there is some good information in the thread about the Aero Precision .308 receivers. There is plenty of information out right now to get a good parts list to put together a nice gun.
    Thanks, will do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy both receivers from the same manufacturer and quality parts. Most problems are coming from psa's bargin parts and no name companies. I just finished a build using aero precision, rainier arms, and other quality parts. Took less than an hour to assemble and everything works perfectly. Right about 1700 with CMC trigger and ff handguard. Will put 5 rounds into a nickel size hole at 100 yds with georgia arms bulk ammo. The days of spending over 2000 dollars just to get a decent 308 are going away now that more companies are bringing quality parts to the public.

Feedback Score
    Watch out for non-pinned gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    I've owned several of them from ArmaLite and DPMS, and have gone to custom building only from reputable shops.

My ArmaLite AR10T didn't have any problems that I experienced, but it was a target gun fed a lower volume.

DPMS guns often had extractor failure or bad QC on the extractors. They've addressed that with the GII in several ways.

You can have a lot of failure to feed/go into battery malfs.

If the gas system isn't balanced well with the recoil system, you'll see short-stroking or too fast of a cyclic rate and empty chamber cycles or stove pipe malfs.

Aluminum gas blocks are to be avoided like the plague.

The ArmaLite DEF10 carbines are hard to beat for the money.

I personally don't have anymore interest in buying AR10-type rifles or carbines if the receivers are 9" long, now that Colt and DPMS have finally gotten back to the relatively unknown 1959 AR10A format.

There are a lot of people spitting out parts and guns into the AR .308 market, but very few of them are paying attention to innovation and reliability, as well as lightweight and balance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I personally don't have anymore interest in buying AR10-type rifles or carbines if the receivers are 9" long, now that Colt and DPMS have finally gotten back to the relatively unknown 1959 AR10A format.

There are a lot of people spitting out parts and guns into the AR .308 market, but very few of them are paying attention to innovation and reliability, as well as lightweight and balance.
    Unfortunately, neither Colt nor DPMS are perfect solutions and lack any aftermarket support. The Engineering of the G2 is interesting but their execution is typical DPMS. It's too bad that they dumped so much time and money into the G2 to only offer mediocre rifle packages.

I've never read as much but it seems as if Stoner had a reason to purposely designed the SR25 for the longer receiver rather than the original AR10. At this point, I'd be more interested in newer lighter weight alloys in the better quality rifles than trying to fix the shortcomings of the G2 or the Colt.

Feedback Score
    Glock24/7,

Of all the responses posted here, the only one i'd put emphasis on would be that posted by "LRRPF52".

I have also bought factory LR-308 rifles, upgraded factory rifles, and had a competition "National Match" models put together by reputable gunsmiths using only high end components (geisssele triggers, krieger barrel, JP bolt, Young MFG BCG etc).

Here's what i've found:

All AR-10/LR-308 rifles, including "top end" models have THE SAME common problems such as:
    1. Overly tight chambers (inhibiting reliable feeding & extraction)
    2. Improperly sized/drilled gas ports (overgassed, undergassed, no-gas at all)
    3. Triggers that walk (trigger pin holes allow one or both pins to walk)
    4. Weak extractors
    5. Weak Ejectors
    6. Weak buffer springs

As i said, these issues afflict all AR designs. A simple google search will reveal that the high end ARs are not immune from these "cons".

If i were in your shoes, i would buy either a colt or DPMS G2 rifle. The DPMS G2 AP4 weighs 7.2lbs (great for all day carry), and its 16" barrel will be more than adequate for game out to beyond your max stated range. The colt is out of your price range at $2000 for the base rifle. And based on its design, there wont be much in the way of aftermarket support.

The S&W also merits a look, but i don't have much info on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast