Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Cans and Tins

Feedback Score

Food Cans and Tins

Hi! I was hoping someone could help me with this question I have. Is there a difference in shelf life and longevity with canned goods that have the pull tab and traditional? think of a can of spam... most of them come with a pull tab where the metal is obviously thinner vs. a traditional can where you have to use a can opener.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As long as can isn't dented the product will still be in a vacuum.

Loss of vacuum whether it be from dents or bulging is the problem that will lower shelf life by allowing bacteria to grow.

That's my take anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    As long as can isn't dented the product will still be in a vacuum.

Loss of vacuum whether it be from dents or bulging is the problem that will lower shelf life by allowing bacteria to grow.

That's my take anyways.
    I will agree and disagree.
    Agree, As long as hasn't lost it's integrity, it is good.

Disagree, A dent doesn't mean that the can has lost integrity. A bulge means that the can was either bad at the factory OR it has bacteria growing inside and you should NOT eat it.

From personal experience, most canned food will go nasty long before the can goes bad in storage. The exception is canned tomatoes. The Acid in the tomato will eat through most everything.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe it is more dependent on what's in the can. Acidic foods like tomatoes corrode the cans faster than meats.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was at an ex-girlfriends condo once when she was cooking dinner. She laid out a can of tomato sauce/paste/whatever on the counter and went about preparing some other things. All of a sudden we hear a loud audible noise that resembled the report of a handgun. The next thing we know we see red splatter all over a wall and the ceiling. I have no idea how old the can was but it made for a good laugh and oh damn someone could have thought someone got shot with the sound then the red stuff splattered everywhere.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Rotate... rotate... rotate...

Don't store canned goods that you don't regularly eat. Store them in an area with stable temperature and humidity.

If you're looking for "set it and forget it" type storage, look into freeze dried. Even freeze dried need to be stored in a stable environment to get the longest shelf life.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I was at an ex-girlfriends condo once when she was cooking dinner. She laid out a can of tomato sauce/paste/whatever on the counter and went about preparing some other things. All of a sudden we hear a loud audible noise that resembled the report of a handgun. The next thing we know we see red splatter all over a wall and the ceiling. I have no idea how old the can was but it made for a good laugh and oh damn someone could have thought someone got shot with the sound then the red stuff splattered everywhere.
    That was botulism. Lucky the canned exploded into non-usefulness, that crap will kill you.

Good example of not using a bulged can.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    That was botulism. Lucky the canned exploded into non-usefulness, that crap will kill you.

Good example of not using a bulged can.
    Yup, I didn't see the can prior to her sitting it out and honestly have no idea of the sell by date. My theory is that she had the can it was within the sell by date but somewhere along the journey from the manufacture to her pantry the can's integrity was compromised allowing the bacteria to flourish.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After retiring from teaching, I worked as a health inspector and retired again. Here's the skinny on canned foods. Avoid dented cans by checking when you buy the food. Unless the dent forms a sharp crease or occurs along a seam on top or side, it's ok. But check them before bringing them home. Expiration dates refer more to food quality than food safety. Baby food is an exception.

Avoid any canned item not made in the U.S. Chinese shit is terrible, and unless you read the labels every time, then you may be surprised.

Acid levels in tomatoes is less than it used to be because people prefer more sweet and less tart. Rotating stock is the only safe way to--like the man said.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    After retiring from teaching, I worked as a health inspector and retired again. Here's the skinny on canned foods. Avoid dented cans by checking when you buy the food. Unless the dent forms a sharp crease or occurs along a seam on top or side, it's ok. But check them before bringing them home. Expiration dates refer more to food quality than food safety. Baby food is an exception.
    Thank willijc for you comments, given your prior occupation as a health inspector we can give you the lane on this subject matter. I know there are some web sites out there that have some charts on this but exactly how far past "best by date"/"sell by date"/"expiration date" is nonperishable canned food safe for human consumption assuming they have been stored properly at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Avoid any canned item not made in the U.S. Chinese shit is terrible, and unless you read the labels every time, then you may be surprised.

I take it from this statement that there are US food producers who import and sell "Made in China" canned food?

If so could you give us some examples. To date I have never seen "Made in China" on any name brand canned soups, chili, beans, fruit, vegetables, meat, broths, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast