Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2000 round Fireclean vs Canola Oil test

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

My 2000 round Fireclean vs Canola Oil test

Don't roll your eyes too hard just yet haha.

Im sure many of you have heard of the so called controversy that FireClean is nothing but rebranded Crisco Canola Oil. I decided to find out for my self and do a test on two identical rifles. Each rifle was cleaned according to FireClean's instructions and one was lubed with FireClean while the other was lubed with 100% Canola Oil.

The test was to put 1000 rounds of XM855 through each rifle in a controlled manner and observe the results.

The firing schedule was 10 rounds of 100 rounds each. The first round was one shot per 2 seconds, and cool to ambient after the 100 rounds was fired. The second round would be as fast as you can pull the trigger to get the gun hot and nasty. We alternated between slow and fast until all 10 rounds were completed, we would wait overnight to see if any gumming occurs, and then we would inspect and clean the rifle. Both BCG's are Nickel Boron from the same supplier.

Green is Canola Oil, while the Blue rifle is FireClean.

This is at 250 rounds. Notice how there is more splash on the deflector of the Canola Oil rifle vs the blue rifle.

At 500 rounds.

Again at 750 rounds.

And finally at 1000

Now the BCG shots at 1000. At this point we experienced 0 malfunctions besides 1 separated case.

FireClean

Canola Oil

Interesting thing about the Canola Oil, it created a waxy substance that stained the carrier.

As far as cleaning goes both were still wet in areas which is pretty impressive as many of the big name lubricants are dry after 500 rounds much less 1000. One thing that we noticed is that the Canola Oil rifle stank really bad, while the FireClean rifle did not. The carbon on the bcg from the Canola Oil rifle was more difficult to remove, and as a previous picture shows, it stained the carrier in places. FireClean did not stain the carrier. Once again I am not impressed by Nickel Boron as both are blackened and the carbon did not wipe off with a rag as many claim.

So according to this real world test despite what the lab results are, I say that FireClean and Canola Oil are not the same substance. Overall I was impressed with how well both lubricants functioned, I would also say that Canola oil is not a bad lubricant to use in a pinch, if you can stand the smell that is.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-10-15 at 17:50.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Here is a picture of the stains left on the carrier of the Canola rifle after cleaned.

I paint spaceship parts.

Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Great test!
    You've answered a lot of questions.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting.

Time to buy some Fire Clean.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, that was interesting to see. Not surprised that the Canola oil rifle stank. I wonder if FireClean uses some sort of refining technique. Anyway, I still use FireClean as I have 3 bottles. And I'm still happy with it. As I've said before I won't use canola oil in my rifle unless it is an emergency.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting in a new thread. The other one needs a fork put into it.

Feedback Score
    I'm enjoying the genuine scientific inquiry found on this forum instead of the slander and snakeoil I have been exposed to previously.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post

I can not say definitively say that FireClean and Canola Oil are the same substance. Overall I was impressed with how well both lubricants functioned, I would also say that Canola oil is not a bad lubricant to use in a pinch, if you can stand the smell that is.
    Can you clear this part up? I maybe reading it wrong but I am unsure of what you are trying to say there.

Thanks for the test. This may put the other thread to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Apparently you can pretty much lube an AR 15 with almost anything.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Can you clear this part up? I maybe reading it wrong but I am unsure of what you are trying to say there.

Thanks for the test. This may put the other thread to sleep.
    Yeah i'll edit that to make it more clear. It made sense in my head but now ive read it I can see how its confusing.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast