Thread: History of Weaponlights

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

History of Weaponlights

Fantastic article from an M4C Member on the history and development of WMLs:

http://www.breachbangclear.com/nothi...ounted-lights/

Teaser pic:

One of the things the article helps to illustrate is that the development of WMLs is nothing new. I have a difficult time, even more so with "seasoned" gun guys who, of course, already know it all, helping folks understand that WMLs are not ninja-riffic items for the combat-crowd-only. Most casual shooters assume that WMLs are some new-school, wizzbangery that they don't have a need for.

Once folks understand WMLs aren't a "new" thing, and that, without a WML they have, effectively, a "12-hour gun" they start to understand a purpose for adding that tool to the workshop.

I'll throw my cliche'd line out there again:

It's 2015. You have no excuse to not be running a light on your go-to defensive weapons. - Outlander Systems
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 12-23-15 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's quite the set up. Does uncle mikes make a holster for that?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting read. I had no idea WMLs went so far back.
    Makes sense when you think about it. Nighttime is not new. Things need shootin' day and night.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks Outlander for posting this, awesome read. My favorite part was LAV's set-up for Acid Gambit and later the Gulf War.

Growing up in the 80's I remember seeing pics and news footage of SAS Troopers and domestic SWAT teams run 3 and 2 cell Mag lights on their MP5's via hose clamps.

I also remember an interview of C. Reed Knight Jr. where he said that after seeing footage of US troops in Operation Just Cause and their hosed clamps white lights that he wanted to develop weapon accessories for our military to give them better equipment.

SAS Troopers Operation Nimrod Iranian Embassy Siege 5 May 1980:

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 12-23-15 at 03:38.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Amazing how far we've come in 3 decades.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great article! One piece of kit that was wayyyyyy ahead of its time was the German Night Pistol circa WWII:

The German "Night Pistol" is a prime example example of what Nazi engineers and scientists were capable of, and hints at the kind of weapons they may have developed had the war gone on. The .30-caliber Luger incorporates a tac light housed in a cylinder under the barrel. Not only that, but the recessed brass plates on the grip are part of a circuit connected to the light and its battery. When the gun is gripped, skin conductivity between the plates completes the circuit, and the light turns on. Not a far cry from modern pressure switches—all made in the 40s, with no polymer components.

The flashlight has a machined, anodized brass housing in front of the battery which is wired into the right grip panel. The flashlight unit is also detachable, designed to be carried separately from the pistol when not in use.
    The gun is said to have been issued to officers of the Hitler Guard, the men who patrolled The Fuerhrer's bunker, according to this story on Guns.com. A book by Peter Hoffman titled "Hitler's Personal Security" says the Night Pistols were loaded with tracer ammunition to make them a more fearsome night weapon, according to an auction description.
    Even without the flashlight, the pistol isn't a common Luger. It's based on the early designs of the pistol with a 4-inch barrel and a grip safety.
    Only two Night Pistols are known to exist. One is in a military museum in Munich, Germany, the other recently sold at the Rock Island Auction House for $184,000.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    All thanks to Dave M for penning that masterpiece.

The old-school, hose clamped lights always get me; I have a soft spot for makeshift equipment. It really is pretty incredible how far the stuff has come, considering the limited COTS items available just a couple of decades ago. The dual-IR/White Surefire lights still strike me as magic.

I would love to have seen that interview.