Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLRrifleworks just saved my build! These 308 ARs aren't cookie cutter...

Feedback Score

SLRrifleworks just saved my build! These 308 ARs aren't cookie cutter...

So I've been building a 308 AR. Got a deal on a blemished upper and lower from PSA. Little did I know what I was getting into, nothing is standardized with these things.

Well before I go into all that detail let me just say SLRrifleworks rocks! I've got 3 of their rails and couldn't be happier. The rail I ordered for my 308 AR was evidently the high rail and I needed the low one. I didn't realize this until after I torqued the barrel nut on and put my gas block on. Once I slid the rail on I realized it was too tall and didn't match up. I thought I'd try my luck seeing if I could pay a restocking fee and maybe kick in a little more to exchange it (the nut was scratched a little from the wrench attachment piece). To my amazement they respond within minutes (this was after hours too) and told me to just print the e-mail and send it back and they'd exchange it free of charge. I was blown away, I even offered again to kick in some cash since it was TOTALLY my fault. Needless to say they will get all my business for rails and gas blocks from now on! That is some GREAT customer service!

So onto my other issues/lessons learned.

This is my build:
    PSA upper and lower
    Geissele SSA-E trigger
    D Wilson AR10 BCG
    Raptor ambi-charging handle
    18” Faxon Firearms heavy fluted barrel or
    SLR Rifleworks 15" 308 Solo Series Hand Guard
    SLRrifleworks low pro adjustable gas block
    Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake
    Leaning towards the Magpul PRS stock

Issue 1) Fitting the barrel was crazy, it was so tight I don't think it'll ever come off. I basically had to tap it on by holding it and bouncing the rifle on my garage floor. I will say the stock is beefy...lol

Issue 2) The Raptor charging handle was binding. From what I found from the S&W forum, they had to grind the hump off the front top end and do some filing of the channel. I ground the hump off and it works now. I still may file the channel out some and try that.

Issue 3) The ejection port cover rod had to be cut down to clear the rail. No biggie but yet another thing that isn't standard...

Issue 4) Magpul Pmags don't really fit well. I'm having to trim them a little where they come in contact with the lower (just at the magwell around the trigger guard area).

Positives:
    1) The D Wilson BCG is awesome. Very nice and headspace checked out, I spent the extra coin to get the go/no-go gauges so I could verify that. I needed a little reassurance since I was learning to trim and force fit some other stuff...lol

2) The Magpul PRS stock is beefy! As I was ever so not gently tapping it against the concrete floor in my garage trying to get the barrel to seat i noticed that I had it adjusted out about an inch. Once I realized that I stopped to collapse it all the way so as to not stress the stock anymore than I already had. The adjustment knob twisted as easily as ever so no issue by me beating on it....and I needed a few more love taps to get the barrel all the way down.

3) Geissele trigger seems to be sweet from dry firing, I've got them on my 5.56s and love them. No issues, it dropped right in and I'm sure it'll function as flawlessly as the other 2 I have.

4) The barrel was an after thought, I was originally going for a Rainier barrel but couldn't find it in stock without paying more than I found it elsewhere. I liked the fluting and the faxon barrel says it'll shoot sub moa with match grade ammo at 100 yards, same as the higher priced models I looked at. I'm sure it'll be good to go.

5) And lastly, just can't say enough about my rail from SLRrifleworks. The rail looked great for the limited time I had it on and I'm sure the replacement they send me to fix MY MISTAKE will be even better!

Hopefully I'll have pics soon. Got to find some glass for it so I can work on stretching its legs next. Sorry for the long post...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is what puts me off building a .308 from different manufacturers' parts. Unlike a AR-15, specs vary a lot more.

I've never heard of this D. Wilson. Being a stickler for details, I note that what he calls his "AR10 Bolt Carrier Group" is actually a DPMS spec one. The term AR-10 is specific to Armalite, although there are several sub-types to the AR-10.

The SLR adjustable gas block seems to be pretty sweet. I have one on my Armalite AR-10A, and it has worked great so far. I hope it holds up as I intend to shoot a lot more this year.

I am curious about the SLR rail. What's the attachment method? Does it just clamp on to the barrel nut with friction?

Feedback Score
    I'm hoping for great results from the adjustable gas block. I'm sure it will be sweet, I've had great results from my other stuff from them. They even allowed me to mail them a stock to have coated when I had them do my rail.

The rail slides on to the supplied barrel nut. There is a piece at the top (c shaped piece) that goes around the gas tube and lines the rail up with the top. The bottom has two curved pieces that clamp the rail to the barrel nut. I've never had mine move an inch. It's been rock solid on my AR15 and it gets bounced around a lot. There's a video on their website showing the install process.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post

4) The barrel was an after thought, I was originally going for a Rainier barrel but couldn't find it in stock without paying more than I found it elsewhere. I liked the fluting and the faxon barrel says it'll shoot sub moa with match grade ammo at 100 yards, same as the higher priced models I looked at. I'm sure it'll be good to go.

Hopefully I'll have pics soon. Got to find some glass for it so I can work on stretching its legs next. Sorry for the long post...
    Flattered you chose us for your build. A solid extension to receiver fitment is ideal and we are confident you will like what you shoot!

Look forward to the photos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Flattered you chose us for your build. A solid extension to receiver fitment is ideal and we are confident you will like what you shoot!

Look forward to the photos.
    I'm sure it'll shoot as good as it looks. I love the looks of it, the fluting is very sharp looking. And the weight is just right, complements everything else nicely. Can't wait to get a suppressor on it!

Feedback Score
    SLR is amazing, I will be using them for every build I have in the future. I bought a rail second hand to replace a different SLR one and I was hoping it would fit the same barrel nut as the old one because my gas block was basically welded on (not really but that thing wouldn't budge). Turns out it used a different one but they shipped me the parts to make it fit along with an extra barrel nut so I could sell my old rail all for free. Absolutely top notch customer service.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I put together an SR25.

I've seen things man.....you weren't there man. You weren't there...

All levity aside, it's rough. Glad you got your build saved.
    I grew to understand why 308 ARs are rightfully more expensive

Feedback Score
    I got my rail in today, test fit looked good. Sadly I had to run out so I couldn't torque the barrel nut down until just a few minutes ago, everything lined up great! I'm super stoked! Just have to torque my surefire muzzle brake on and it'll be ready to test fire!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just got an Aero M5 set. What rail should I get from SLR?

Feedback Score
    On my 308 AR I have the 15" 308 LOW Solo Lite Hand Guard - MLOK.

I've got the Solo Ultra Lite Series on my AR15 (only the rail at the very end of the top section). I've also got a Solo Series rail waiting a rifle, it's got the rail sections on each side and the bottom at the end of the rail. All MLOKs.

I'll try to get a pic up soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast