Thread: LaRue MBT-2S- Thoughts, Usage and Similarities with other Triggers

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

LaRue MBT-2S- Thoughts, Usage and Similarities with other Triggers

ETA: I ordered my MBT-2S today. I opted for the "I can wait" pricing, because the weapon it's going in to is not trigger-less. So the plan is the move the KAC to myosin sights AR that serves a back-up role as a Recce when it's scoped with the Strike Eagle that belongs to it. For now I'll just train with it and my iron sights. I'll put the MBT-2S in my SPR and give it a go!

Thanks to everyone who provided input - great bunch if guys on here, that's for sure.

RTT

I recently completed building my SPR (5.56), however, I'm still debating on the trigger for my weapon. At the moment it's got a KAC 2 stage trigger. It's a nice trigger, and it hasn't reached its break-in point, so I suspect it will get even better. While my other battle rifles all use single stage triggers, I'd like to stick with a 2 stage trigger on my SPR, just for my natural pause prior to 2nd stage. Also, I've always been intrigued by LaRue's trigger. I'm a huge fan of their products - especially their rails, I own a few including the 13.2 on my SPR, and also of their scope mounts. So I'm sure the quality is there.
    I'm curious to hear from anyone who has used the trigger what their thoughts and impressions are. If you have another trigger as a reference point - how did it fare against it? Pros? Cons? Is it better suited for an SPR? Is there another trigger it's similar to - for example a Geissele or even my KAC? Another reason the LaRue is appealing is because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, $125 if you can be patient and I am patient. I picked up the KAC from a friend who gave me a really good buy on it, otherwise it DOES cost an arm and a leg. I'm also not opposed to spend a couple hundred on a good trigger, but I'm not looking for the default Geissele answer - nothing against them, I'm just exploring other options...
    Lastly, I'm not a 3-gun comp shooter, so my SPR isn't built for use in that scenario. It's like my other battle rifles, more function over form, built for a purpose.

Thanks for any help/advice.

RTT
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-04-16 at 00:07. Reason: Just bought a new LaRue MBT-2S trigger!
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a couple of the MBT-2S triggers. They are one of the best 2-stage triggers I have ever used. I have one on a couple of my ARs. My other experience is with a Geissele SSA, KAC 2-stage, and a LMT 2-stage. A few moths ago, I bought an Elftmann 3-Gun single stage trigger. I am extremely impressed with it. It is adjustable from 2.5 lbs to 4 lbs. They are not cheap (about $279). The new Rise Armament Super Sporting Single Stage Trigger (RA-140-SST) is another really nice single stage trigger at a bargain price (about $122). I have two of them I ARs. These are viable options if you want to use a single stage instead of a 2-stage. The MBT-2S has two price options. If you can wait on it for up to a few weeks, it is $125. If you want it right away, it is $199. From what I read the other day, the $125 option is shipping within two weeks.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ill be back to this after this weekend. Gonna run 2 of these in some training guns. They show up tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The new Rise Armament Super Sporting Single Stage Trigger (RA-140-SST) is another really nice single stage trigger at a bargain price (about $122). I have two of them I ARs. These are viable options if you want to use a single stage instead of a 2-stage.
    Thank you Renegade for the feedback on the triggers. That's was exactly the type of intel what I was hoping to gather. I've seen the Rise Armament on Primary Arms and a couple of other websites and that $122 range was what I consistently saw, I just had no data on the trigger. What weight is the trigger pull on the Rise?

Thanks again
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vectorsc View Post
    Ill be back to this after this weekend. Gonna run 2 of these in some training guns. They show up tomorrow.
    Look forward to your feedback on the triggers.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Knight's has the longest lock-time and will last at least one barrel (3,500 to 5,000 rounds for best accuracy) based on experience we had with 3rd Ranger Battalion's SPRs. The hammer is so massive that Dave Tubb (12-time Camp Perry NRA national highpower rifle champion) lightened his with Commander-style holes to try to get it moving quicker from the break.

Geisseles and the Larue will last at least as long as your rifle (you may pass your choice to your grand kids).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've been using the LaRue MBT in my 18" SPRish rifle for about a year now. I really like the way it feels for distance/precision shooting. I have used the Geissele SSA in other rifles, and for this application I like the LaRue MBT better. Even though LaRue's MBT specs are similar to the SSA, the MBT feels lighter on the pull for both 1st and 2nd stages. It feels crisper at the break too. I also like the feel of the trigger shoe, which is flat, rather than slightly convex. This is of course target shooting and hunting, not any sort of combat related experience with the trigger.

NC

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    The Knight's has the longest lock-time and will last at least one barrel (3,500 to 5,000 rounds for best accuracy) based on experience we had with 3rd Ranger Battalion's SPRs. The hammer is so massive that Dave Tubb (12-time Camp Perry NRA national highpower rifle champion) lightened his with Commander-style holes to try to get it moving quicker from the break.

Geisseles and the Larue will last at least as long as your rifle (you may pass your choice to your grand kids).
    That must be a special SPR 2 stage bc my KAC 2 stage doesn't have a walloping hammer of that size. I'm familiar with Mr. Tubb's, I run his flat wire springs. Thank for the input Brother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I've been using the LaRue MBT in my 18" SPRish rifle for about a year now. I really like the way it feels for distance/precision shooting. I have used the Geissele SSA in other rifles, and for this application I like the LaRue MBT better. Even though LaRue's MBT specs are similar to the SSA, the MBT feels lighter on the pull for both 1st and 2nd stages. It feels crisper at the break too. I also like the feel of the trigger shoe, which is flat, rather than slightly convex. This is of course target shooting and hunting, not any sort of combat related experience with the trigger.

NC
    Thanks for your input chief. Being former military, hearing how a component of a weapon system or sub-component of a system performs in combat is of importance to me. But so is hearing every day use, or hunting use. It is all valuable Intel that paints a picture. I appreciate your comments and insight. It revealed some characteristics that the other comments didn't reveal. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams