Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Which lower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    Arms Unlimited has Colt lower receiver groups for $300
    This is the way I think:

Magpul Enhanced Receiver Extension (10 position A5 length) $59.95 (Magpul)
    VLTOR A5 Buffer Kit $47.99 (Midway)
    B5 Type 23 Grip $16.43 (Brownells)
    EXOS TI-7 Stock $69.99 (EXOS)
    ALG AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit (Less Trigger, Less Grip) $49.95 (ALG Defense)
    LaRue MBT $99.00 (LaRue Precision)

Total (minus lower) $293.36

So then I take one of my $59.00 (IIRC) Alexandria Pro-Fab lower receivers out of my box o' receivers and I'm into a lower set up close to what I like for $352.36 without having to take off and replace parts.

I'll add a Geissele Maritime Catch ($49.00) a KAC Ambi Mag Release ($61.99) and an ambi safety from my parts bin. These are expenses I would have regardless.

Actually, if you consider the parts I would replace on either a complete Colt or BCM lower you would need to add $86.00 for the stock and grip, since I'd replace those anyways. So a $300.00 complete lower becomes a $386.00 complete lower and I have another stock and grip to toss in the box of stocks and grips that will never get used.

The point I'm trying to make is that unless you are going to run a basic, stock lower, putting one together is a very cost effective to get a lower that you like.

As long as the lower is made from a 7075 T-6 forging and works with the parts you install, what difference does it make whose logo is on it?

My way I roll out with exactly what I want in a lower. Well, except for the Sionics Logo which I think is cool, so I want one. And I'll buy one some day.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-28-18 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I said the heck with it and ordered a BCM full lower. $355 on Primary Arms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    I said the heck with it and ordered a BCM full lower. $355 on Primary Arms.
    Good deal. The tracking says mine got delivered to my FFL today. I can’t go pick it up until tomorrow though. Now I gotta decide on a new upper for it. I’m considering a BCM 14.5 SOCOM, a Colt OEM2, or a BCM 16” mid-length ELW with mlok rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    Good deal. The tracking says mine got delivered to my FFL today. I can’t go pick it up until tomorrow though. Now I gotta decide on a new upper for it. I’m considering a BCM 14.5 SOCOM, a Colt OEM2, or a BCM 16” mid-length ELW with mlok rail.

I plan to put an SBR upper on this but I have to get my class III for that here in NY first.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I recently ordered a billet lower from Kinetic Development. I wanted to go billet on this build to do something a little different, but I wanted to avoid ambi lowers to avoid picking up bad habits that won't work on my other rifles. Rainier Arms had a great deal on it, especially when compared to other billet lowers. It only had one review, but it was a good review and I had a good experience with one of their other products.

It arrived at my FFL today and when I went to pick it up, the finish was worn off in several places. I'm pretty amazed that Rainier sent it out looking like that without it being marked as blemished.

After about an hour trying to get someone on the phone they agreed to send my FFL a return shipping label and refund me the full purchase price.

I just ordered a matching upper and lower from Cross Machine Tool Company for not much more than it would have been to add an upper to the KDG lower. I think I'll be a lot happier with the CMT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I recently ordered a billet lower from Kinetic Development. I wanted to go billet on this build to do something a little different, but I wanted to avoid ambi lowers to avoid picking up bad habits that won't work on my other rifles. Rainier Arms had a great deal on it, especially when compared to other billet lowers. It only had one review, but it was a good review and I had a good experience with one of their other products.

It arrived at my FFL today and when I went to pick it up, the finish was worn off in several places. I'm pretty amazed that Rainier sent it out looking like that without it being marked as blemished.

After about an hour trying to get someone on the phone they agreed to send my FFL a return shipping label and refund me the full purchase price.

I just ordered a matching upper and lower from Cross Machine Tool Company for not much more than it would have been to add an upper to the KDG lower. I think I'll be a lot happier with the CMT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That looks pretty shoddy I don’t blame you. Blems I’ve seen go out from BCM look much better than that.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never bought a complete AR. I get stoked just talking about how it’s gonna be built and why.
    I want a Vltor rail system; I just can’t find one at the usual places.
    There’s the Mako version (VFR-AR), but I’m not “settling” on this one.
    Nothing ensures Buyers Remorse like getting less than what really wanted.

Feedback Score
    Picked up my BCM from my FFL today. Quick and easy purchase from Bud’s at a good price with fast shipping. The fit and finish is excellent especially for a blemished lower ( I found one small mark in the pic below), locks up tight on both my uppers, and there’s no wobble in the stock either. Thanks for all the advice, I am very happy with what I bought. Now, I need to order a new upper for it.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeRay View Post
    I’ve never bought a complete AR. I get stoked just talking about how it’s gonna be built and why.
    I want a Vltor rail system; I just can’t find one at the usual places.
    There’s the Mako version (VFR-AR), but I’m not “settling” on this one.
    Nothing ensures Buyers Remorse like getting less than what really wanted.
    I bought two and won’t ever again. I sold my first AR (Smith MP15) to my brother. Bought my Colt LE6920 since I wanted one now my 3rd and 4th will both be totally customized or built by me. It’s the fun way of doing it for sure.

Feedback Score
    If that’s blemished, you made out!
    I wanted a chrome-lined barrel (despite all the evidence that nitriding/W.A.S.P./melanite treating is superior.)
    Brownells had CHF chrome-lined barrels for $99 because they were “blemished”.
    Like your lower, whatever blemish was there was indistinguishable, and it was apparently done well by whoever did it: it’s sub-MOA accurate.
    Nice! Thanks for the photos!
    Last edited by CeeRay; 03-01-18 at 21:01.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast