Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20” target barrel 5.56 Hbar

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    SAM-R details

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...el-(and-more-)

It will be slightly more accurate with .223 than 5.56

Here's another thread from a different site.

https://progunfighter.com/bcm-spr-build/

Compass lake Krieger SAM-R

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...roducts_id=342
    Last edited by ryanm; 09-08-18 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. More options!

Will explore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post

PrairieDog— can you hit ‘dogs with your BCM? Range? Is the JP better than the BCM for that purpose?
    The BCM can do the job, We were taking them out to 400+ yards off of bi pods. Just the JP barrel is in a different league. In fact with the gas system, low mass carrier, brake, and recoil spring from them the gun is just better than any other AR I have run. I would give them a call. There are other good builders out there too but JP sells a whole system that they design, test, and sell. All high quality parts.

I have a few BCM's and they are great all around rifles but for target shooting I would take a real hard look at JP.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I went through this. It's great having so many good options. I ended up with a 20" White Oak Armament SDM. It has met my expectations even though I'm only an aspiring marksman.

I've really only shot groups at 100. Best 5 round group has been .4 moa. .6 to .7 moa is pretty typical in reviewing my targets. An occasional inch group when I suck. Other than that it's mostly shooting steel for fun out to about 600. I've got probably close to 2000 rounds on the barrel. Here's a 10 round group from 3 days ago. I find 10 round groups to be difficult so this is good for me.

20180906_173032.jpg

ETA some 5 round/ 100 yard groups I have on my phone.

SPR20WOAOmegaReloads3.jpg
    SPR20WOAOmegaReloads2.jpg
    SPR20WOAOmegaReloads1.jpg
    Last edited by dmd08; 09-08-18 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    When you get serious, get Compass Lake to spin you up a tube.

http://compasslake.com
    This.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The BCM SS410 barrel is capable of sub-MOA with a good optic and ammo. One of my LE friends has one with a Geissele rail and he routinely gets around .075 MOA with match ammo.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

I don’t suppose anyone has the Douglas SDM-R barrel & how it compares to BCM?

DMD08–those groups are what i’m looking to do.

Head still spinning due to more data—i’ve emailed Compass Lake for a build.

I’m now looking at Leupold scopes, but am considering Swarovski....I know, First World problem.

Thank you for the help. Cheers!
    Last edited by MSW; 09-09-18 at 10:55. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I may be qualified to answer here, as I run 2 of the BCM barrels, and two different guys on my squad both shoot them. Between the three of us, we have 4-5 BCM stainless barrels. Every single one is sub MOA. I’ve heard of MAYBE some that got through that exhibited less than stellar accuracy. That has not been our experience at all. Is the BCM the most accurate I have? No, but it will certainly shoot sub MOA, and gives excellent velocity and consistency. My most accurate Barrel is a toss up between my WOA (White Oak Armory) 18” that came in my Lancer DMR Rifle, and my Noveske Afghan. The Noveske is an older barrel that John made, not a new one. It shoots fantastic.
    Point is this; there are SEVERAL great Barrel makers out there. There are also anomaly barrels that shoot better than they should. I have a Colt M4 profile that is very accurate, shoots FAR above its class for what it is. It must have been a Tuesday afternoon Barrel when everything came right. The thing I always tell people is this: you pay your $$ and take your chances. CERTAIN barrels are going to minimize your chances of a dud. Barrels such as Bartlein, Douglas, Krieger, Bruce, Rock Creek etc. spun up by a good smith that knows what he’s doing, will shoot to the limits of any factory ammo. I am going to have my next Recce rifle sporting a Bartlein 1/7 in a CLE Chamber spun up by Compass Lake. There are real tests run by AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) showing the CLE Chamber is about 20% more accurate. Not my test, AMU conducted them.

When you are shooting barrels of this caliber, the shooter and the ammo are the unknown, not the barrel. You can certainly buy “pre-made” barrels and shoot sub minute. Like I said about the BCM Stainless, or my Afghan, but the RISK of getting a dud is higher.

Much of this comes down to shooter ability as well. How good are you? Are you at the limits of your current system? Sometimes changing ammo can make a “meh” barrel into a laser. Are you handloading? Most every barrel can be made better by handloading to the barrels preferred load.

Sorry for the long winded reply, there is just a TON about this stuff to know. I can’t STAND when someone comes on and gives a “Blah-blah.....nuff said.” That’s ridiculous, and usually indicates a person that has THAT one barrel and got A sub MOA grouping. BTW, that’s NOT usually an issue on this site. On TOS, it happens.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I shoot sub MOA with my handloads & Bushmaster Hbar 20”. Believe it or not, the lowly Bushie will shoot sub-MOA with 69grain OTM with low-end .223 powder charges with Varget & CCI No.41 caps (Lake City 1x brass). When I push the envelope with .223 to 5.56 loads, it opens up to about 1.5” or more. My accuracy handloads are done on my RCBS Rock Chucker, while blasting ammo is done on my 550B. I’ve been reloading roughly 15+ years & hardly consider myself an expert, which is why I'm looking for advice on an expensive next step, specifically a barrel that isn’t $210.

In my experience, Bushies aren’t target barrels; and the aftermarket SS I have doesn’t fit me needs.

The “target barrel” I purchased is from an aftermarket manufacturer is a 22” Hbar in SS with Wylde chamber. I’d rather not name them publicly because they’re a great bunch of folks & make excellent batch-made stuff. Target barrels aren’t their fortι. Since my “target” barrel is inconsistent for my needs & not as good as my lowly Bushie, I need to replace it. I don’t mind spending money, but haven’t a clue as to how to choose a target barrel, other than my prior purchases with DD & BCM, which is where I chose the SAM-R SS410. Unfortunately, the other folks I shoot with don’t do OCD target shooting, minute-of-metal-gong is acceptable. Full auto is better.

I use Black Hills 77 gr OTM as my standard. I also use Hornady TAP in 5.56. Trying to replicate these loads with my handloads is what shows my current “target” barrel isn’t & needs to be replaced. Powders i’ve used are TAC, Varget, H335 & IMR 4895. BCM & DD are my “go to” companies because they make great gear & have great CS. I suspect the BCM SAM-R barrel will do the job, but wanted advice from folks who shoot them, and it sounds like you may be “in the know.” As I started getting more info here, I started looking at Compass Lake, they have Kreiger & Douglas barrel, so the new question is whether or not it’s worth it to spend extra for them over BCM.

To a novice like me, picking a barrel seems to be part witchcraft, part religion & part blind faith. I don’t know anyone personally with any of the barrels i’m interested in purchasing. It’s too bad my fellow shooters are Class 3/FA & blasting ammo-types. If someone I shoot with had a match AR, I would have just duplicated his set up, assuming it was sub-MOA.

I emailed Compass Lake & will either buy a 20” Krieger or Douglas barrel & just have them set up the upper & use my DD lower with Geissele SSA. Glass will likely be Leupold, but I found a store that has some Swarovski refurbished scopes.

I agree this site is way ahead of TOS, which is why I didn’t bother posting & asking there. People here tend to buy quality & use it, rather than whatever happens over at TOS. There are some notable guys, like Molon, who I would trust at TOS, but I suspect the overall population of actual shooters here is higher.

Thank you—that’s all I got. I’ll talk to Compass Lake this week (I hope) and trust the experts to answer & create.

Feedback Score
    Frankly, there are a lot of very good barrels out there. If you were on a budget, I'd say go for a White Oak Wilson. Otherwise, get a Krieger or a Bartlein or some other cut-rifled barrel like a Satern and have White Oak, Compass Lake, Keystone or a few others finish it for you. Have it chambered with either a Wylde reamer or a Compass Lake. Keep in mind that a CLE chamber will use a little less powder than a Wylde to get the same pressure/velocity.

Cut rifled barrels are usually a little bit smoother than buttoned (there are exceptions, like Shilen), but most definitely last longer than buttoned. Personally, I really like cut 5-R style barrels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast