Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you lollipop your red dot?

Feedback Score

Do you lollipop your red dot?

Interesting video HERE where Dan Brokos recommends using the front iron sight to confirm your eye's line up with the bore axis in conjunction with using the red dot.

In other word, the red dot is "lilipopped" on the front sight.

Seems like you're re-introducing one of the problems with iron sights and that is having to line up three objects (front sight, red dot and target) rather than two (just placing the red dot on target). Looking at his training and service to our country you can't argue with his credibility. It's just a concept I'm unfamiliar with but I'm going to try.

Maybe it's something that is critical at longer distances rather than CQB.

Is this part of your training? Do you "lollipop"?
    BCM RECCE-16 ELW Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks 1.92
    You need to be, not seem to be.

Feedback Score
    So I just got out of a class on Saturday addressing this issue. Typically, because I am lazy, when I zero my rifle, I zero the irons and then place the red dot on the top of the front sight post. Once that is done, I just utilize the dot. I do this because the front sight post by itself is not a sighting system (I'm sure that someone will nitpick this) my sighting systems are my irons and my red dot, not both together especially when using a 1/3rd mount. What Dan seems to be talking about is ensuring the alignment of the bore access in Support side, unconventional position shooting. I (personally) would not utilize this in normal (strong side) shooting.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 07-16-20 at 09:42.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I only "lollipop" so to speak with rifles with Red dots and fixed iron sights.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I zero my irons, then mount the Aimpoint on the gun and using the adjustments, lollipop the dot as close to dead center over the front sight post as I can discern, then I zero the Aimpoint and tweak the position of the dot accordingly. It sometimes ends up that the dot just slightly off-center over the post.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I zero my irons, then mount the Aimpoint on the gun and using the adjustments, lollipop the dot as close to dead center over the front sight post as I can discern, then I zero the Aimpoint and tweak the position of the dot accordingly. It sometimes ends up that the dot just slightly off-center over the post.
    This.

Two separate sighting systems, two separate zeroes. I typically zero irons, then adjust the red dot to cowitness prior to live firing. This helps save ammo by insuring I'm close prior to live firing. I never truly have a lollipopped POA/POI, especially when we start factoring in things like parallax when forcing cowitness with a lower 1/3 mounted red dot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My Dot ideally is centered on the tip of the front sight. The equater of the dot aligned with the front sight tip.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think I understand what he's getting at, if you have your red dot set up for absolute cowitness, lollipoping would get your dot in the center of the optic to minimize any deviation from having the dot near the edge of the window. Personally I prefer a lower 1/3 mount and don't take the time to look at my front sight when shooting with a red dot, the front sight should be out of focus and it would take extra time to perform all the steps he is talking about, and wouldn't work with lower 1/3 anyway. Some of the biggest advantages of a red dot are that it's quick to get on target, the dot is on the same focal plane as the target, you can make hits without your eye being perfectly aligned, you don't have to line up four things like the OP mentioned. I think what he's trying to do is get the dot centered in the optic to try to get as much precision out of the optic as possible at distance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He qualified what he was saying several times during the video by specifying hits on small targets. I guess he’s talking about minimizing the effects of parallax errors by using the front sight as a reference point to ensure that dot is in line with the bore. He’s obviously not talking about speed, but more about accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    He qualified what he was saying several times during the video by specifying hits on small targets. I guess he’s talking about minimizing the effects of parallax errors by using the front sight as a reference point to ensure that dot is in line with the bore. He’s obviously not talking about speed, but more about accuracy.
    ^^
    This.
    I don't know why he wouldn't frame the conversation as such.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    That’s exactly the process I use with AimPoint and my HD AR. It’s co-witnessed and the Red dot sits just over the FSB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast