Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Markov 9 mm ---Talk me down

Feedback Score

Getting a Markov 9 mm ---Talk me down

I need a truck pistol in case a crowd of BLM types stop me. The Markov 9mm just did something to me. It was like seeing a girl for the first time and falling deeply in lust. The Russian military used them so they must be reliable, hold 7 or 8 rounds with one in the chamber. They are cheap enough. I have no experience with semi-auto pistols. The only pistol I ever shot was a revolver.

Tell me why I am wrong---seriously.

Feedback Score
    Are you in a jurisdiction where 10+ rounds is illegal?

Can you readily find 9X18 ammo?

I’m sure there are worse choices, but also better ones.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    9mm Mak defensive ammo isn’t a huge category. Hornady and a couple of others do it, but I don’t think you’re going to pop down to Wally World and grab a box.

I do get the style thing though.

Maybe a CZ-75 Compact or PO1? It’s the better Com-Bloc pistol by far, and it rocks 9x19.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I would pass because of the uncommon caliber and limited capacity. If you are on a tight budget then look into a police trade-in Glock. They can often be found for ~$300 in .40 caliber. Ammunition is much more common and they hold 13 (G23) or 15 rounds (G22) in the magazine.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They are generally reliable and can be fairly accurate. Mine was my first handgun and subsequently my first carry gun back in the mists of 2004. I still have it, but it’s been years since I shot it, however I remember the DA trigger pull being quite lousy.
    8 round mags are low cap by modern standards but is a workable capacity for most applications, but my preference is more, like twice as much for me actually...
    There are “high capacity” models (10-12 round mags) that were imported from Russia years ago (based on the updated “PMM” variant)
    Availability of 9mm Mak isn’t great, but availability of 9x19 really sucks right now too. It’s a shitty time to be getting into any defensive caliber. In terms of power the 9Mak is said to be in between .380 and 9x19 but I believe it’s closer to the former than the latter. Selection of defensive loads isn’t very good either. .

There are .380 models available though, again the older Russian imports I believe, so they are not common, but that would probably be my preference if I could find one because 9Mak isn’t much better than .380, and while .380 at least has a broader range of defensive loadings available.

On the flip side, because of its slight obscurity demand for 9Mak is likely to be lower than the demand for other calibers though so it’s possible you may actually find that in stock when 9x19, .40, .45 .380 etc are sold out during this current time of ammo panic.

Heel mounted mag release is not intuitive for American shooters, but I guess if you don’t have experience with any other semi automatic pistols you won’t have to “un learn” anything.

The “wrongest” thing here might be wanting a “truck pistol” that presumably stays in your vehicle all the time vs just carrying the gun on your person. Truck pistols have a habit of getting stolen.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-09-20 at 06:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a G19 and put in 8 rounds of 380, thats essentially what you're doing. It's about the same size, weighs a little more but with only 8 rounds of what's basically a combloc 380.

Most places don't carry the 9x18 so you're best source is online. Buffalo Bore and Hornady both make SD ammo.

They are blowback so pretty stout recoil for what it is.

Just because militaries carried them doesn't necessarily mean anything. A handgun was a sign of rank more than anything. If anything it would have been the last resort weapon. It's the equivalent of the air force issuing a model 12 snub nose revolver in downloaded 38spl.

If you're still interested in something cheaper check out the Tokarev. At least those you can get 9x19. I think the Yugo M57 in 9mm is still around $200. Or the CZ82. At least that one will give you 12 rounds although they're more expensive.

I like the pistol and I like the caliber just not for your reasons when there are better options available.

But seriously, get something modern police trade in

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    They are generally reliable and can be fairly accurate. Mine was my first handgun and subsequently my first carry gun back in the mists of 2004. I still have it, but it’s been years since I shot it, however I remember the DA trigger pull being quite lousy.

There are .380 models available though, again the older Russian imports I believe, so they are not common, but that would probably be my preference if I could find one because 9Mak isn’t much better than .380, and while .380 at least has a broader range of defensive loadings available.

The “wrongest” thing here might be wanting a “truck pistol” that presumably stays in your vehicle all the time vs just carrying the gun on your person. Truck pistols have a habit of getting stolen.
    "Generally reliable" might be a bit of an understatement. They're boringly reliable and mine are very accurate. I have an East German (that I don't regularly shoot) and a Bulgarian that I shoot. They are even simpler than a Glock. 9x18 is better than .380 and if it was a common caliber here, the general advice would be to not go below 9x18 for a carry gun. The Hornady Critical Defense load is a good SD load.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Take a G19 and put in 8 rounds of 380, thats essentially what you're doing. It's about the same size, weighs a little more but with only 8 rounds of what's basically a combloc 380.

Most places don't carry the 9x18 so you're best source is online. Buffalo Bore and Hornady both make SD ammo.

They are blowback so pretty stout recoil for what it is.

If you're still interested in something cheaper check out the Tokarev. At least those you can get 9x19. I think the Yugo M57 in 9mm is still around $200. Or the CZ82. At least that one will give you 12 rounds although they're more expensive.

I like the pistol and I like the caliber just not for your reasons when there are better options available.

But seriously, get something modern police trade in

Recoil is really not stout. It's certainly no worse than a smaller .380. I also wouldn't recommend a Tokarev as an alternative. The triggers are far worse, it does recoil more, and ammo is even harder to find - I have seen 9x18 at Cabela's and local gun shops, but 7.62 Tok is really hit or miss.

CZ-82 is probably a much better option for a truck gun, though. It's basically the same size with more mag capacity. That said, if you're dead set on a truck gun - and I agree with Circle 10 that they have a habit of getting stolen, a police trade in Glock or a CZ-82 are much better options. At least with a CZ 82 in 9x18, you probably wouldn't have to worry as much about it circulating on the streets very long. A Makarov is better as a historical piece that you could carry if you absolutely wanted/had to, but I wouldn't use it for the applications you stated.
    Last edited by sundance435; 09-09-20 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

Tokarev. At least those you can get 9x19. I think the Yugo M57 in 9mm is still around $200.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post

I have seen 9x18 at Cabela's and local gun shops, but 7.62 Tok is really hit or miss.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Russians use Glocks too.

I had a Makarov. It’s essentially a crude Walther PP with a heel release. If you want to larp as a STALKER in the Exclusion Zone; thats one thing.

If you want a handgun to prevent being taken out of your vehicle and beaten to death; a Makarov is not the answer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If it's a money issue I would write rather carry a beat to crap Glock or even a Smith & Wesson 9 mm Sigma than a Makarov.

Between higher velocity heavier bullets and better bullet design the 9x19 is much more effective than the 9x18 Mak.

If you need a hand gun to defend yourself, you need a very reliable high capacity semi-automatic pistol, not one that appeals to you aesthetically.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast