Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag: Test 2

Feedback Score
    I've made and used the petro jelly cotton balls as firestarters using a firesteel with no problems, although I haven't tried them in the rain yet. 3 weeks ago I used one to start a fire in winds of about 10 mph with gusts to 20mph - worked great. How are you guys making yours? I make mine by working the petro jelly into them pretty good, but when you open them up a bit there is still dry cotton inside. When I get ready to use them, I tear them open and fluff the insides up a bit to help catch the sparks and like I said, they seem to work good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Great post

The OP has the right idea here. Test you gear now when you can afford to screw it up so you will get it right when it counts. I was an avid hiker covering all of the AT in PA and adjoining states (I saw "was" b/c now I have little kids and can barely get away for a round of golf let alone a 3-7 day hike!!!). I started with an ALICE pack as well (former military) but eventually switched to the "ultra-light" or minimalist theory of hiking.

So a couple suggestions -
    --consider a tarp or specially designed waterproof cover rather than a tent. Usually much lighter, and all you need is some 550 cord and a couple bungies rather than poles, stakes, cord.
    --Rinsing pots in streams and lakes is a must, conserve water and they make biodegradable/non-toxic soaps you can use after to be sure it is clean.

--The lighter you pack the lighter boots you can wear (less support needed) and they say a pound on your feet equals at least 5 on your back (or something like that).

There is plenty of other stuff out there including a really good, easy and high calorie meal called "moose goo" that will save you on fuel (eat it cold) and space (very small, packages) and money (you make it at home). This is the website I started ultralight packing at:
    http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/

best of luck and most importantly enjoy the hike....I'm jealous!

Feedback Score
    The link below will lead you to a thread that I started awhile back just after a small Tornado tore the roof off the duplex I was living in. I tried to address a few of the short comings of my personal Bug Out Bag so anyone interested might learn from my mistakes. It really is a good idea to be prepared and test your equipment and plans ahead of the time when you have to put them into effect.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26930
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior9504 View Post
    The OP has the right idea here. Test you gear now when you can afford to screw it up so you will get it right when it counts. I was an avid hiker covering all of the AT in PA and adjoining states (I saw "was" b/c now I have little kids and can barely get away for a round of golf let alone a 3-7 day hike!!!). I started with an ALICE pack as well (former military) but eventually switched to the "ultra-light" or minimalist theory of hiking.

So a couple suggestions -
    --consider a tarp or specially designed waterproof cover rather than a tent. Usually much lighter, and all you need is some 550 cord and a couple bungies rather than poles, stakes, cord.
    --Rinsing pots in streams and lakes is a must, conserve water and they make biodegradable/non-toxic soaps you can use after to be sure it is clean.

--The lighter you pack the lighter boots you can wear (less support needed) and they say a pound on your feet equals at least 5 on your back (or something like that).

There is plenty of other stuff out there including a really good, easy and high calorie meal called "moose goo" that will save you on fuel (eat it cold) and space (very small, packages) and money (you make it at home). This is the website I started ultralight packing at:
    http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/

best of luck and most importantly enjoy the hike....I'm jealous!
    Couldn't agree with you more, bro.

Little things I'm picking up through field testing eliminates the learning curve "in the shit", that, and it's just good clean fun.

I've basically done an ultra-minimalist setup for my next outing, shrinking the pack down to a Maxpedition Colossus Versipack, and unloading some of excess baggage/luxury items. If anyone remembers my Bug Out Bag: Test 1 post, I had cosmetics in the pack - stick a fork in 'em, they're done.

A large pack is great for extended retreats/setting up a base camp. On my next outing, I'm shooting for mobility over firepower.

The new kit will consist of what I personally feel, for my individual needs, the absolute bare minimum for trying to stay 6' atop soil. This is a test. This is only a test. That being stated, I'm curious to see if I can squeeze shelter/cooking/firemaking/water-procurement into an extremely small, lightweight package, instead of turtle-backing. It will definitely allow for extended ranges, faster speeds, and infinitely more mobility.

The system I'm rigging together may prove interesting, and theoretically, I think it's jam-up, but, I'm going to have to field test it to verify. Should be fun.

For this outing, I'm nixing everything but the utmost minimal of what I see as essentials.

Again, 550 Cord = Ultra-Essential, YMMV.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    For the next outing, I'm assembling a "maximum mobility" setup, called:

Black Bear Interdiction Kit, EX 1 Mod 0.

Image Contents:

01) Approximately 85' of 550 Cord.
    02) 2 Omega Pacific Carbiners
    03) Snugpak Rain Poncho / Stuff Sack / Carrying Belt-Pouch
    04) Polartec Fleece Cap
    05) ENO Singlenest Hammock
    06) ENO Slap Straps
    07) Jetboil PCS
    08) Spare Isobutane
    09) Sea-to-Summit Long Spoon

Image Contents:

10) Sanitizer
    11) Sea-to-Summit Trowel
    12) Surefire G2LED
    13) Gerber Multi-Tool
    14) Magnesium Fire Starter
    15) Gerber Folding Knife
    16) Strike Anywhere Matches
    17) Vaseline "Fun Sauce"
    18) Knife Sharpener
    19) 10yds of 90mph Duct Tape
    20) 4 Bic Lighters
    21) Mini, Caveman Basic First Aid Kit

Image Contents:

22) Toilet Paper (Luxury Item)
    23) Spare Igniter for the Jetboil PCS
    24) Gerber Saw
    25) Snugpak Sleeping Bag
    26) Nalgene Bottle

Image Contents:

27) Old, ratty LBV
    28) Maxpedition Colossus Versipack

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Items still needed:

* Headlamp that takes CR123 batteries
    * Rain-fly/Tarpaulin
    * Swedish Fire Steel
    * Steripen
    * Frog Gigging Trident

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This kit is still in the experimental stage, and is subject to change, but it's basically what's going in the field with me, on the next trip. All of the above items will fit in the Versipack or Attach/Store on the LBV. The LBV is nice, as weight is evenly distributed, and no shoulder/hip "burn" occurs. Load capacity is diminished, but carried comfortably. I may add a butt-pack that is setup to store food only. Time'll tell.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    It is nice to see someone testing their BOB.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A question for the Ultralight camping guy-- Tarps are nice & all, but what do you do about the mosquito problem?
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Again another great post. Guys, get out there and try your stuff out before you "have to use it". He is doing 10 miles, but you dont have to go that far to test a lot of your stuff. You can rent a camp spot with a tent site and have the security of of your car being 10ft away if you wake up to realize your tent/trap setup sucks wind. You can be running your stove, cooking food, seeing how it runs when the wind is blowing and the temps are dropping. If you camp site has access to trails you can pick one and go out with all on stuff on your back, testing your pack, how your gear is packed in it, and your shoes.

- just a thought: trim your ground cloth to just undersize of your test foot print (or fold it so that it does not exceed the foot print of the tent). In a heavy rain, the rain will run down the sides of the tent and onto the ground cloth that is showing beyond the sides of the tent. It will then shunt all the water under the tent towards your sleeping gear and back side.

Again great post.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great posts and threat. I have to agree with TheLandlord in that I am a fan of using an LBV in addition to the pack. Question for him though, does he use the external pack that attached to the CFP-90? I use it an dam trying to find something to replace it. For me it doesnt sit well on my frame.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @ HES: No! The Assault Pack that accompanies the CFP-90 is horrible IMO.

I need to throw up some pictures. The "Ultralight" setup has the buttpack added, and sleeping bag attached. I used an old Spec-Ops radio pouch to stash the poncho on my pistol belt, since, short of an injury, that will be the item I want with a good bit of rapidity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast