Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast is fast enough?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

How fast is fast enough?

I have visited a good number of well visited Disaster Preparedness forums and found a common theme that seems to be lacking in all the the related topics. Most will happily post pictures of mass stores of food, ammo and firearms that looks like it would take a very long period of time to mobilize if one had to bug out.

Now hopefully we should have some warning when the SHTF but I have to wonder with terrorist nations cooking up crude nukes and viral disease that your warning time could go from a few hours to BUG out now if you want to live.

So the question is does most here have two sets of BUG out gear, one for "Bugging In" and the "Fly Out the Door version". I would guess the fly out the door version would not be bases on stored items from the "BUG IN" version and both would be stored separately to reduce the access and loading time if one have to "BUG OUT" on the run.

So How fast can you run and gun if needed?

Feedback Score
    If the warning is public, you will be a competitor with other refugees, which is a very poor second choice. Since you are serious about the issue (benefit of the doubt to you), moving your loved ones outside of whatever you consider as your danger zone and then you commuting (even if you have to sleep in a camper for a 4x10 duty cycle) might be more advisable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Our "short term bug out" is in the back of the car, and will never not be there. It is more an immediate survival kit, but we could survive for several weeks using it and some basic knowledge. Funny thing is I never thought to not have this kit, as it was designed by my father and other roughnecks to survive cold winter nights in the Red Dessert when their work trucks broke down on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere.

I've added to it since leaving the state though. Two gas/particulate respirators, a small backpacking tent, and the first aid kit has been expanded so it can treat non lethal chemical weapon attacks.
    Last edited by Mac5.56; 07-22-09 at 09:26.

Feedback Score

I had less than an Hour to Bug Out

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26930

The above link is to a thread I started some months back after a Tornado tore the roof from my home...Pics are included and at the bottom of the first page is an assesment of my situation I wrote up.
    I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here is a Blackhawk product that I found may assist others when a run and gun emergency occurs. It will hold four 30rd AR magazines and two pistol magazines and it has four belt keepers built in to secure the bandoleer. I found when properly sized to you body shape that the unit is very stable, quiet and instant available. I paid $33.00 at a local shop and it is also available with a single AR pouch with flanking pistol magazine pouches for a few dolors less.

For a side arm the fastest donning holster I found that has a retention device was the SERPA CQC which comes with a standard belt slide and large locking paddle. The paddle version is very stable once pushed onto your hip and I tested it by jumping on a trampoline and it stayed in place never pulling out of my waist band. I paid $35.00 at a local shop

I was able to run into my home and down to my safe, put on my soft/hard armor and ballistic helmet, throw on the bandoleer, place the holster with side arm on my hip and pick up the M-4 in under 90 seconds. My thinking is now that I can cover the home while the wife and kids load the bug out kit into the SUV and we can be on the road in under five minutes. I have the same set up for the wife so we are both on the same page ammo and magazine wise.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I have visited a good number of well visited Disaster

So the question is does most here have two sets of BUG out gear, one for "Bugging In" and the "Fly Out the Door version". I would guess the fly out the door version would not be bases on stored items from the "BUG IN" version and both would be stored separately to reduce the access and loading time if one have to "BUG OUT" on the run.

So How fast can you run and gun if needed?
    My Bo gear is preloaded in Rubbermade tubs. These are kept in the garage, and are numbered (on the outside) in the order they go in the truck. There is a laminated sketch as to how to load them, to get everything to fit.

I have two mixed 50 cans preloaded with 9mm, 5.56mm bandoleers and 6 loaded AR mags. These sit in the front of the ammo closet, with nothing ever on top of them. "Grab and Get" is the thinking here. Preloaded 8 mag chest rig and a 6 mag "bandoleer" from Eagle Industries sits on a shelf in the safe.

The goal is to be able to be on the road within 30 minutes of saying "Get". I am not planning on or dreaming of a "Road Warrior" senerio. If I felt the need to Bug Out, then it would be with a destination in mind, and things would have become untenable at my home. I would want to be able to get as much of a head start on the masses as possible. This would require NO last minute trips to Wal Mart, or the gas station. I keep enough gas on hand to top off the tanks, with enough extra to carry along for the trip. I figure on having at least 50% more fuel than I should need, to count for the Murphy factor.

To pre-stage gear is not hard. (Hint, if you are using rubbermade tubs, ect. do a dry run of loading the empty tubs to see exactly how everything would fit. This can be an eye opening experience. During a real BO would be a bad time to find out that the tubs don't quite fit in your vehicle.) Set up your stuff, inventory what is where, and do not go "Borrowing the **** from anywhere, thinking you'll put it back. The one thing you borrow and forget will be the first thing you absolutely need during a BO.

I assumed that the topic of this was being able to Bug Out in a hurry. If the OP merely is referring to how fast one can "Run and Gun" as to get into a gunfight, well, to each his own, but I'd suggest rethinking the logic of that one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I assumed that the topic of this was being able to Bug Out in a hurry. If the OP merely is referring to how fast one can "Run and Gun" as to get into a gunfight, well, to each his own, but I'd suggest rethinking the logic of that one.
    The topic is how fast one can bug out of the home stead once the SHTF, since security should be priority #1 I only listed the BlackHawk gear as a way to gun up quickly so to cover your loading of the vehicle and then your route out of the hot zone. My Run and Gun comment was meant as to show hast in the process only. Evasion of a fight is always the best option but when one has to drive Thur a major urban area like the City of Philadelphia were a average of 400 murders and 3000 are shot every year God only knows what may occur during your evac when the unprepared wish to take what you have. I use the same Rubber Maid tubs as you do which are also numbered and loaded into the SUV a certain way as to be able to access items of need at the rear gate and not to forget a single tub.

Feedback Score
    If one is intent on the strategy of moving family and gear in an emergency (rather than pre-staging your family and commuting) then I would suggest pre-staging your load.

Something like this

already loaded, ready to hitch-up could save lots of time, since time was the original criterion.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Phila PD,

I agree with your last post completely. As to the Blackhawk gear you listed, I have been using the 2-magazine "Rifle bandoleer" at work as a means to carry extra ammunition with my issued Patrol Rifle. I am very happy with the quality of this product, and for my needs while at work it's about perfect. I use the pistol pouches to hold a Surefire G2 light and a leatherman tool.

I am going to obtain a couple of the double pouches (4 AR mag models) to include in my SHTF gear.

RFB , am I see things correctly in your photo? Is that a golf cart in front of the trailer?

In all seriousness, the idea of a preloaded trailer is the fastest route. Do you have any concerns about pulling a trailer during the congested traffic you would encounter during a mass exit resulting from a major SHTF incident?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One thing we do use is a small car top carrier which clamps on the roof rack and is ready to go in under a minute. We store only light weight items inside the carrier so even the wife and one of the kids can push it up and lock it in. I think we picked it up in 2005 at Pep-Boys for about $100.00 and its waterproof and low profile. My SUV has the 3rd row folded seat which is great if I had to take another two or three people but it puts a serious hurt on available storage inside the vehicle. I was looking at a small two wheeled enclosed trailer that would equal the inside storage of my vehicle as a added option. This is not a full size trailer as shown in a earlier post but about a 1/3 sized version of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast