Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on removing flash hider from Ruger sr-556

Feedback Score

advice on removing flash hider from Ruger sr-556

Hello,

I would like to remove the Ruger flash hider from my SR-556 but there are no grip points for a wrench. I would like to replace it with a Phantom but I can't seem to budge it and I'm afraid if I put more effort into things I could bugger something up. I've already buggered up the Ruger hider a little and I'm not wanting to damage the carbine any.

I have basic tool, vise, etc. and I am okay in using them but I could use advice on how to effectively clamp the barrel without chewing things up, how to get a grip on the hider, etc. The phantom will install easy as it has flats for a 3/4" wrench but the Ruger hider has no such grip points to unscrew. I've already confirmed with Ruger the threads are standard and nothing is pinned/welded. It looks like a typical crush washer install but I can't get it unscrewed.

Here is a picture of the Ruger hider installed on something else. I don't really care if I kill it but I'd like to get it off clean with no damage to the carbine.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Watchman; 08-21-09 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd put the upper in a receiver block in the vise and then jam something (screw driver, maybe a file) through the openings of the FH and twist it off that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    I'd put the upper in a receiver block in the vise and then jam something (screw driver, maybe a file) through the openings of the FH and twist it off that way.
    Unfortunately I don't have a receiver block. That's my biggest hurdle is clamping down the upper without damage. Experience has taught me that files are just too brittle for such things. Files tend to shatter when used like that and can be dangerous.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a receiver block. That's my biggest hurdle is clamping down the upper without damage. Experience has taught me that files are just too brittle for such things. Files tend to shatter when used like that and can be dangerous.
    I do FH work by clamping the barrel in the section of my bench vice designed to hold sections of pipe. A piece of thick rubber hose, slit down one side length wise, should protect the barrel from the vice. Depending on how tight Ruger installs their FH’s, this should work.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    That Ruger FH is the most boring, cheesy looking FH I've ever seen! That thing looks like it belongs on some Egyptian service rifle or The A-Team's handgaurdless M-16A1s for "Dramatic Effect", or something. I just put a Phantom Comp. on my Bushy and it really rocks! I think I only paid 28 bucks for it through Rainier or Bravo.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It was "Escape from New York" with the handguardless ARs. The A-Team used......Ruger Mini-14s.

Feedback Score
    I have a Phantom to install as soon as I get this darn thing off. I think I have a bigger vise stashed away in the shed, it may have a pipe clamp option on it. Thanks for the responses and I'll post when completed.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I got it off. It was a bear and gave a good loud squeak when it finally broke free. I had to use a bigger vise and vise grips to do it..

Anyway, how much can I squeeze the crush washer. Just snugging things up with the new Phantom and the washer that came with it the bottom of the Phantom stops at about the 8 o'clock position looking down the business end of the barrel. Can I bear down and give another 200+ degree of rotation to move the Phantom into proper position? Alternatively the original crush washer looks barely used and using both washers allows the Phantom to align up with just enough force to keep it all in place.

Signed, noob in training.

Feedback Score
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    Well. I dunno. I have over 270 degree of rotation to align the Phantom correctly with just one washer. That's gonna be a bit more than the 15-25 ft lbs as advised by YHM. I haven't applied any force to anything yet.. snugging things up with both washers puts the phantom at about 90 degree (approx 3 o'clock) but it does leave things just that much further from the end of the barrel.

Can anyone advise if I can twist a suppressor almost a full 270 degree past hand snug with the crush washer?

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast