Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remingtons response to CNBC

Feedback Score
    While I appreciate that safe gun handling practices would have reduced or eliminated injury or deaths highlighted in the show:

There is absolutely ZERO excuse for a factory rifle to discharge when the trigger is not pulled. Would any of you even think about using a rifle that did so?

The gentlemen in the show who's son was killed obtained literally a filing cabinet full of complaint letters sent to Remington over the years that the rifle fired without the trigger being pulled. The engineer who designed the rifle wrote a memo that said this was a potential problem right when the design was going into production and Remington ignored him.

I am more than willing to listen to both sides and give Remington the benefit of the doubt to listen to their response. If Remington is in the right they should be vindicated. If there has been an ongoing problem and they knew about it they should fry.
    Last edited by Makintrax73; 10-22-10 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Several rifles have had trigger issues in the past

Seems to me that the Ruger line of rifles went thru this a few years ago as did a couple of other rifles.

Good luck and please be safe.
    D Williams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makintrax73 View Post
    I am more than willing to listen to both sides and give Remington the benefit of the doubt to listen to their response. If Remington is in the right they should be vindicated. If there has been an ongoing problem and they knew about it they should fry.
    From the perspective of one of the law firms: http://www.drinnonlaw.com/Texas-Defe...mington700.php

If this information is correct, and I don't know that it is, there appear to be multiple case verdicts to back up the claims, which should be easy enough to verify.

Edited to add: There is also a thread going in the General Discussion about this: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=792850#post792850
    Last edited by austinN4; 10-22-10 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    The AD's associated with the Model 700 are well documented and testified to by no less than a legend in shooting, Mike Walker. Mr. Walker was the inventor of this Remington rifle back in the 40's when he worked for Remington. He maintains that Remington was well aware of the shortcommings of the 700 trigger and refused to do anything about it. Whatever you think about CNBC, Remington should be ashamed of how they bought folks off over the years to keep quiet...

I guess that I have called down the Kool Aid drinkers, now...

What say you?
    Gary

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just pointing out

Good morning Gary O. Im amused by your post. Koolaid and guns are a bad mix. Im not saying their is not a liability issue, or a responsibility by remington to correct the issue.

I was pointing out that the AD's ive been party to were most likely man caused. The trigger being mechanical and the most likely the point of AD is at best a push.

As I mentioned the Ruger 77? and other weapons using that configuration have experienced AD's aswell.

As for drinking the cool aid, you got the wrong guy Im not particular to any specific brand. I build and shoot what I happen to have on the shelf.

My current project is a remington 7mm mag. with a few 700 actions on the shelf for the future.

Question to you. Gary do you feel that an aftermarket trigger will solve the issue or are you aware of another stock trigger fix.

D Williams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Question to you. Gary do you feel that an aftermarket trigger will solve the issue or are you aware of another stock trigger fix.

D Williams
    Not Gary, I know....

The X-Mark Pro trigger, which Remington started installing in the 700 series in 2008 (IIRC) is the factory fix to the Walker FCS. Those organizations which have been monitoring this issue for years have not heard of any similar Unintentional Discharges with the new trigger design. So I guess you can call that a "stock" solution to the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    2. Guess what, assholes, what part of not flagging other people with your muzzle, especially when putting the "kill pill" in the chamber, do you not understand?
    My sentiments exactly...
    I have a 700P in 338LPM inbound as we speak.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Makintrax73 View Post
    If there has been an ongoing problem and they knew about it they should fry.
    I agree with this as well.

Now is this an issue in POST 2009 700's ????
    Last edited by BLACK LION; 10-26-10 at 15:17. Reason: added
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Good reason to stick to the AR platform

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the reply

I thought a different trigger was the fix but wasn't sure. I have never experienced an AD with a 700 action. My primary sniper rifle is a 700 actioned .308 with at least 10.000 rounds thru it.

I have the stock trigger in the rifle at 2.5/3.0 lbs. Never a problem. It appears ive been fortunate.

Thanks for sharing.

Black Lion your going to love the 338. What a fantastic round. I have one on a stiller tac 338 action which is a very good copy of the 700 action.

Happy hunting.

D Williams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast