Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 Performance Super Bolt

Feedback Score

AR15 Performance Super Bolt

How much stronger is the AR15 Performance Super Bolt compared to a standard bolt? I'm about to order parts to overhaul a couple of my department's full auto SBR's and since I'm replacing the bolts anyway the extra cost isn't a huge deal. I'm just trying to determine if they are really that much stronger. I'm also considering them for my patrol rifle and a couple .223 based wildcats I have that are a bit harder on bolts than standard .223. In my case, however, my rifles are due for new bolts so I'm not sure it's worth doing until they are ready for new stuff.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    What brand of carbines do you guys have? Just curious.

I've found BCM bolt/carriers to be excellent in several builds.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A...semly%20mp.htm
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    The two SWAT guns I'm going to be servicing are DPMS select fire 11.5" SBR's while the rest of the department rifles are DRMO Colt M16A1's. As for privately owned guns that guys buy to carry on duty we have a mix. Our policty doesn't dictate manufacturer and is open enough that someone could buy a Mini-14 if they really wanted to, though nobody has tried.

If I buy a standard bolt I will go with a high quality one like a BCM. I was just curious what guys have found using the AR15 Performance bolts. They appear to offer a very durable bolt and I'm all for durability and was hoping for some first hand experience to see if the premium price was worth it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/336

This is what he is discussing. I must admit, this part intrigues me.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 11-01-10 at 13:24.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As to the M16A1s?

The above would be overkill. I would run the original military bolt as long as you are on the original barrel.

The carbines may benefit by the superbolt.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the link to the SB, as I really had no idea what he was talking about. The SB does indeed look interesting, but as far as I can tell there isn't much of a track record to see how the product performs in the long run. For as duty weapon, I would stick with a standard bolt, such as the BCM you mentioned. The duty weapon isn't a good choice for testing of a new item.

Feedback Score
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 9310 a grade BELOW 158 Carpenter?

I thought that bolt materials, in order from best to worst were:
    158 Carpenter

Feedback Score
    I'm not up on my metallurgy but the JP high performance bolt is also 9310 and claims to be significantly stronger than mil-spec. Claims a service life of 60,000 rounds IIRC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AFAICT:
    9310 is inferior in strenght to carpenter 158.

9310 is easier to source in smaller quantities, and cheaper.

I would just go the BCM, DD, or LMT route, stronger steel, less expensive; they are of the highest quality.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ht=9310&page=2

Skip out on the "high Performance" bolt. You can just about get 2 bolts for every 1 of those you buy.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 11-02-10 at 11:56.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I'm not up on my metallurgy but the JP high performance bolt is also 9310 and claims to be significantly stronger than mil-spec. Claims a service life of 60,000 rounds IIRC.
    I can claim a lot of shit, too. That doesn't mean it's the truth. Stick with what works, Carpenter 158. Buy BCM BCGs for those DPMS rifles, leave the Colts alone until they break.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast