Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum age to buy a stripped lower?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Minimum age to buy a stripped lower?

Hey fellas,

I am 19 years old, and I live in the state of Indiana. I have purchased two AR15s brand new in the past year and a half and have never had any trouble with the background check. I just left my FFL's house after an unsuccessful attempt to transfer my Noveske blem stripped lower. The background check lady said that I am not of age to recieve the item and that the transferee has to be 21. My dealer is going to contact the ATF Monday, as reccomended by the background check lady, and see what they have to say. I guess I can understand this to an extent, as an AR15 can be configured into a pistol, but it is a long gun reciever, for a long gun, which can be legally bought by ann 18 year old.

The toughest part about this is that I held the N4 lower in my hands, and it was so beautiful, and I had to leave it there. Everything else for this rifle is already paid for, and all of the components are either at my house or in transit to my house. It is just my luck to have this kind of a hang up.

Anyhow, if anybody knows the policy on this, or has had this trouble in the past, please share what you know with me.

If this is in the wrong section, pleas move it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    21yrs old per Federal law.

You can buy a complete rifle at 18yrs old. A receiver is an 'other' on the 4473. 'Other' requires 21yrs old, longguns requires 18yrs old.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    21yrs old per Federal law.

You can buy a complete rifle at 18yrs old. A receiver is an 'other' for reason on the 4473. 'Other' requires 21yrs old.
    isn't a complete lower by itself, in rifle configuration, also GO at 18?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    isn't a complete lower by itself, in rifle configuration, also GO at 18?
    No a complete lower is just a lower.
    For instance you at 21yrs of age could buy a complete LMT lower, remove the receiver extension/stock etc. and built it into an AR pistol. On the 4473 a complete LMT lower is 'other' it isn't a longgun because although it has a stock it doesn't have a barrel and thus cannot be fired from the shoulder (the definition of a longgun).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    gotta love those arbitrary lines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    No a complete lower is just a lower.
    For instance you at 21yrs of age could buy a complete LMT lower, remove the receiver extension/stock etc. and built it into an AR pistol. On the 4473 at complete LMT lower is 'other' it isn't a longgun because although it has a stock it doesn't have a barrel and thus cannot be fired from the shoulder (the definition of a longgun).
    We Really don't need this stuff posted here.
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 12-11-10 at 22:49. Reason: We don't advocate breaking the law here.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    An FFL cannot sell anything other than a rifle or shotgun to someone 18 or older but under 21.

A lower is not a shotgun or rifle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dagonnit!
    I like the idea of selling the dealer my upper and having him sell it back to me. The only thing I could think that would go wrong with this is if the folks keep the serial number in the system for, say, 10 days. They would figure out whats up.

Thanks for the info anyhow, fellas. I wish I would have known this beforehand.
    Last edited by mhanna91; 12-11-10 at 14:42. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Once again. We don't advocate illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by mhanna91 View Post
    Dagonnit!
    I like the idea of selling the dealer my upper and having him sell it back to me. The only thing I could think that would go wrong with this is if the folks keep the serial number in the system for, say, 10 days. They would figure out whats up.

Thanks for the info anyhow, fellas. I wish I would have known this beforehand.
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 12-11-10 at 22:51. Reason: We do not advocate breaking the law.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that he would be fine with me "selling" him the upper and having the whole thing transferred to me in rifle form, so long as it is legal. He will be calling the ATF on Monday, so we will see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast