Thread: F Marked Front Sight On A A2 Upper???

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

F Marked Front Sight On A A2 Upper???

I want to build a A2 middy but all the barrels have F marked front sight bases on them... Would there be any issues with setting zero on the elevation???

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Possibly. You should have enough room to dial that Front Site Post down to get a good zero. You might struggle to get one of those homo 50 yard zeros, but with a middy, a good 100 yard zero should be possible.

Why not just run the carry handle? That's what I do.
    Last edited by markm; 01-01-11 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I've got a few flat tops with carry handles,flip up BUIS & LMT...

sights but I just like the A1 & A2 style uppers... Guess I'm just old fashion...

Feedback Score
    "F" Marked Front Sight Base

There is no difference in the overall height of an “F” marked front sight base and a standard front sight base. The only difference between the two front sight bases is the height of the sight “shelf” above the top of the barrel.

The front sight post on a standard Colt front sight base will bottom-out in the sight well at approximately 24 clicks below flush. On an “F” marked front sight base the sight “shelf” is a whopping 0.040” higher than on a standard front sight base. That means you might have to turn your front sight post down approximately 6 clicks further with an “F” marked front sight base than on a standard front sight base. (6 whole clicks difference. Oh, the inhumanity!) So unless your front sight post is set at 18 clicks below flush with a standard front sight base, using an “F” marked front sight base will be a non-issue.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There you go. About 6 more clicks.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nicely explained . I had pretty much the same question a while ago with the same answer. The photos in this thread and the detailed explination help make it clear.

I'm waiting on a 11.5" bbl from BCM should be here Monday. I'm going for the practical Retro with an A1 slick side upper. It is going to get a tritium FSP and a CSAT rear. A MOE handguards and light with no optic.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Possibly. You should have enough room to dial that Front Site Post down to get a good zero. You might struggle to get one of those homo 50 yard zeros, but with a middy, a good 100 yard zero should be possible...
    Always good for a smile
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge