Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a cane corso and GSD. I got both of them for when I'm away and the old lady and kid are home alone. the cane corso is a monster. amazing dog. very smart, easily trainable and looks like a giant pitbull lol. he is super protective of the wife and kid. has a high drive while outside but probably the calmest dog in the world inside. curls up in a ball at your feet and just sleeps. awesome dogs. catches rabbits and squirrels on a regular basis.

My GSD is awesome but his drive is stupid. extremely smart and crazy loyal. but he is always switched on it seems. If I get up and move in the house he automatically jumps up and runs to the door wanting to go out. not a huge deal but annoying at times lol. during the summer while I'm out in the garden he will literally chase flying bugs for hours on end never taking a break except to drink water. if he isn't chasing bugs he runs the perimeter of my yard constantly. he is my daughters best buddy. sleeps at her feet all night and will not tolerate any hostile actions towards her. I actually have to watch out if I'm punishing her because he doesn't like it.

I had a rottie to for a long time and she was the smartest dog I have ever had. easily trainable but had a lot less energy than the GSD. I would have no problem for end of world being with a rottie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Thanks a lot for all of the voices of experience, I appreciate the honesty.

So let me get this straight in my head, as I have gleaned from the responses. I believe I want either a GSD with the drive and trainability of a Mal, or a Mal with the personality of a good GSD. At this point I have to lean toward a good GSD, possibly from Chech lines, unless someone can point me towards a domestic breeder with guaranteed good hips and ability.

However, if I could find a good tractable Mal, I wouldn't rule him out.

RobfromSC, thanks for the link, I am going to give him a call.
    Just as a fyi we have a Mali and he's a mix, guessing lab or golden... but he has zero protection drive and if you raise your voice he slinks away. However he kills rabbits and squirrels like there's no tomorrow. Great drive on the tug and soft sleeve, but no nerves.

Its all very breed dependent. Or breeding dependent. Earlier on experiences can also shape and mold him/her. Both of those breeds have a high food drive so it makes training a snap.

Just stay positive, small steps, add distractions . If the dog gets frustrated,go backwards to easier stuff.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

So let me get this straight in my head, as I have gleaned from the responses. I believe I want either a GSD with the drive and trainability of a Mal, or a Mal with the personality of a good GSD. At this point I have to lean toward a good GSD, possibly from Chech lines, unless someone can point me towards a domestic breeder with guaranteed good hips and ability.

You nailed it! Czech or East German bloodline GSD is the way to go.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 02-07-13 at 06:45.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    Just as a fyi we have a Mali and he's a mix, guessing lab or golden... but he has zero protection drive and if you raise your voice he slinks away. However he kills rabbits and squirrels like there's no tomorrow. Great drive on the tug and soft sleeve, but no nerves.

Its all very breed dependent. Or breeding dependent. Earlier on experiences can also shape and mold him/her. Both of those breeds have a high food drive so it makes training a snap.

Just stay positive, small steps, add distractions . If the dog gets frustrated,go backwards to easier stuff.
    My Mal defines "good nerves." When he's on bite, he gets kicked, whacked, everything (not hard) and he just ignores, hangs on, and growls. Good with kids and people but man, when the switch is thrown, he is ON.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    My Mal defines "good nerves." When he's on bite, he gets kicked, whacked, everything (not hard) and he just ignores, hangs on, and growls. Good with kids and people but man, when the switch is thrown, he is ON.
    That's it! Classic mali. Bleeding and still tugging. Our gsd is getting there...kinda. I think his downfall is he's so observant. He notices every movement every change.

All that said, and sticking with the thread, I don't think a over the top H3, titled dog would be any better than a well rounded protection TRAINED dog in a shtf situation. Note trained.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    German Shepherds "watch and wait....."

I love my Mal but GSDs are my favorite by far. Here's a couple from a bloodline I hope to own a specimen of in the future. Talk about intimidating.....

Last edited by Littlelebowski; 02-07-13 at 08:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not suggesting anything different... But had to comment on the line below about the dog eating socks then barfing them up.
    I was raised with Airedales so my daughter has an Oorang. He's more a big (120lb) goof than anything but highly protective of the family. My son brought his dobie over and tried to assert dominance. This was interesting as the Airedale wanted to play, the dobie not so much. When Airedale finally figured it out they went at it, the dobie got body slammed, breath knocked out of him and that was that.
    Anyway, the Airedale likes to eat womens panties (dirty of course) then shits them out later. Now that's a man's dog there!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    1. Mals are like guided missiles. They need launched and guided but once en route are devastating. That translates to how they behave day to day in that they need something to do and/or someone to be around. Very wound up; everything is done with gusto. When I get up out of bed in the morning, my Mal jumps up and runs. He does this nearly every time I move. My Mal is also one of the best dogs with children that I have ever seen. Mals can have obsessive behavior traits if not mentally stimulated (my dog likes bite work and rough play more than running). If you see obsessive behavior (my Mal likes to steal and eat socks and then barf them up), it's time to do more with the dog. Honestly, I much prefer GSD temperament to Mals. A Mal is a guided missile, a GSD is an autonomous, patrolling, furry Terminator. Much calmer. You can definitely do more with a good Mal though insofar as training.

2. Easy as hell to train. Smart. Get one with a high food drive and you can teach it to recite Shakespeare in Mandarin.

3. Mine and another forum member's (IRISH) both have high bite drives with bite training. Both dogs let kids sit on them and both endure a lot from the kids with unblinking calm. However, my dog is watchful of strangers (as he should be) but absolutely will NOT tolerate a strange dog near the kids. "Will not tolerate" means "sudden knockdown/dominance." A few bumbling Labs have learned this the hard way. So....yeah, the breed absolutely does switch it off at home but the switch is very easy to trip.

4. I'd rather have a good GSD but if you have the time, a Mal can be infinitely rewarding. They are far more athletic than most modern GSD's, shed less, and are easier to train.

Feedback Score

Heads up, Mike posted on his Facebook page that he has a washout 5 month old female free to a GOOD home. His washouts are typically great family dogs. They go fast if not gone now

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Re: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Heads up, Mike posted on his Facebook page that he has a washout 5 month old female free to a GOOD home. His washouts are typically great family dogs. They go fast if not gone now
    Somebody jump on this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    robfromsc, thanks for the heads up. I reached out to Mike this morning, she had already been placed. So now I have to do something I swore I would never do, pay attention to FaceBook! Maybe I get lucky next time.

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast