Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fixing" the auto-forward in my m&p.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    The problem comes when the auto-forward of the M&P kicks in inadvertantly and you end up with a failure to feed or an empty chamber. It is the sole reason I dumped the M&P9 platform
    I am in the process of dumping mine as well. I just need to find a replacement that feels as good in my hand.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    All of 2010 I worked at a local shop/range on my days of from the FD. We sold and rented all types of pistols naturally. Of our polymer framed pistols that we had for rent, ALL of them did the auto forward when inserting a mag, HK, Glock, M&P. They did not all start out that way, but all ended up that way. So I will not accept this as an M&P only issue. I wouldn't see it at this point as a reason to dump a platform either "unless" after contacting the manufacturer for resolution there still wasn't one.

I think we are far passed the days where "certain" brands of pistols were bomb proof reliable. The fact of the matter is, all of this guns have parts that can and will fail, regardless of brand. Yes some are more ergonomic than others, some are engineered better than others, and some are cheaper to fix than others, but they still should all receive the proper maintenance when it is required/necessary. For a good time I saw folks so confident in a certain brand that they would take a new pistol and start to CCW it without even firing it, which to me is a bad ideas regardless of brand. These things are mass produced, and they can have bad batches of pistols, parts, etc.

Are some manufacturers more prone to things going bad sure, are any of them perfect, I don't think so. I say be honest with yourself, and decide what are your needs in a pistol, find the one that meets those needs or most, and go from there. I have seen many folks dump a platform for no reason other than what they have read on the net, myself included a few years back.

I am of the belief that with the reputation of stone cold reliability of the Gen 3 9mm Glocks many folks just got lazy, stopped changing springs when it was recommended, didn't clean/lube their guns on a regular basis, and then wanted to blame the pistols when something went wrong.

The bottom line is, if you have a pistol that works, use it.

Some folks have had legitimate issues with pistols, and there are leg imitate issues out there, but a lot of stuff sometimes gets blown out of proportion. There is no one heavenly perfect handgun, shoot what works best for you.

Just my $0.02, which are not professional, and did not cost anyone anything.
    Last edited by Fire_Medic; 01-15-12 at 13:01.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Rest in Peace - Chuck Petrie

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    So I will not accept this as an M&P only issue.
    It certainly isn't an M&P only issue, however M&Ps are extremely prone to auto-forwarding right out of the box and THAT is an issue.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    The last class I was at this happened to one of the M&P shooters who relied on auto-forwarding for reloads. I'm now sold that it's bullshit and a major training scar.
    Yup, and the only time it didn't work in the two days was during the timed portion of firing, and he didn't expect it.

It's like the sex panther cologne in Anchorman...works 60% of the time, everytime.
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    It certainly isn't an M&P only issue, however M&Ps are extremely prone to auto-forwarding right out of the box and THAT is an issue.
    It's just something else for S&W to fix..along with the hit/miss accuracy problems, crummy out of the box trigger, weak ejection some folks have,magazine issues I've read about ..When does it stop? I moved to another platform, and pretty much gave up on my FS9..I thought S&W listened to customer feedback, what happened? I guess a improved slide stop to prevent auto forwarding, will be something Apex Tactical will have to make, Because I doubt S&W will do anything about it anytime soon...
    Last edited by ralph; 01-15-12 at 11:55.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    My HK P-30 does this reliably with 8 rounds of more when using a reasonably firm seating push. If done slowly it won't. Had an G17 that just started doing it during a match, had never done it before, continued to auto forward from that time on. My thumbs are long so when I rest my thumb on the slide catch [Beretta M9] I drop the slide anyway when the mag is seated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If my M&P9's reliably chambered a round when the auto-forward occurred I wouldn't really care much at all and would still be carrying the M&P9 as my duty and daily concealed carry pistol.

The real issue for me came up when it occurred with several different hollow point loads including my issued duty ammo (Win Ranger 124gr +p bonded) and it caused a feedway stoppage where the nose of the hollow point would get jammed up against the bottom of the feedramp. I could easily replicate this with every M&P9 I ever handled including the three I used to own. They had production dates of: 2007, 2010, and 2011.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well......

Mine only does the auto forward if an excessive amount of force is used and I hot the rear of the grip intentionally when I reload.
    Last edited by Fire_Medic; 01-25-12 at 15:42.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Rest in Peace - Chuck Petrie

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    If my M&P9's reliably chambered a round when the auto-forward occurred I wouldn't really care much at all and would still be carrying the M&P9 as my duty and daily concealed carry pistol.

The real issue for me came up when it occurred with several different hollow point loads including my issued duty ammo (Win Ranger 124gr +p bonded) and it caused a feedway stoppage where the nose of the hollow point would get jammed up against the bottom of the feedramp. I could easily replicate this with every M&P9 I ever handled including the three I used to own. They had production dates of: 2007, 2010, and 2011.
    I totally agree with you on the above, they need to make this priority one and fix the issue asap. Reliability trumps all and any accuracy issues are secondary in my opinion. The following may not be applicable to the M&P 9mm pistols but here is a pic of what Colt did to the barrel feedramp on the new series 70 pistol to make them more reliable with HP ammo (barrel on the right).

http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/barrel.jpg
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-15-12 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    If I know anything about S&W's they'll solve the issue by changing the
    CAUTION: CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED
    to
    CAUTION: CAPABLE OF AUTOMATICALLY CHAMBERING A ROUND WHEN MAGAZINE INSERTED

Is it agreed that only the 9mm's suffer from malfunctions when auto-forwarding? My .40 auto-forwards reliably but I don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast