Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but something I have been wondering about in this case. mtdawg169 shot the hog with a FMJ bullet. Couldn't this be compared to using a solid bullet on dangerous game. It sounds as if the 9mm FMJ's behaved like a solid would. If I remember right the first shot went through to the opposite side and broke the leg of the hog. The other 2 shots behaved the same also. Now I'm not advocating the use of 9mm FMJ as a hunting round but in this case, luckily, the round behaved like a solid would on a Cape Buffalo. I know i may be reaching but the similarities are there.
Over the course of this discussion, I have wondered the same thing. Taking the shields that are present on a mature boar into account, I'm not sure that a +P or 147 gr defensive load would have had the same results, as penetration would have been very different. I'm not advocating for 9mm fmj as an appropriate hunting round. But it has raised the question in my mind as to how effective a good defensive load would have been under these circumstances. As I stated earlier, I wasn't out "hunting" with a 9mm handgun and I'm not advocating for it either. I simply used what was available to dispatch a much maligned nuisance animal from our property.