Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SCAR SBR factory barrels and ACR SBR factory barrels and caliber conversions coming

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Good point. And in each case they were ACR threads. Interesting indeed.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iroquois pliskin View Post
    What a text full of bullshit...
    Thanks for summarizing your post in the first sentence.
    Know your role, and shut your mouth.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Looks like Remington managed to screw up their version of the ACR even worse then BM did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IAoL...el_video_title

They are using weaker magnesium for th elower. No longer fold the stock and weakened the rail. The only thing they added that is nice is the folding CH.

And they got rid of the QD barrel. I can see that as not mattering to some people but overall it is a decrease in the quality of the rifle.
    Indeed Remington did remove some of the features that were the ACR's supposed advantages over the AR.

The stock really is a non issue because of the modular attachment method and it's current availability. If, and it's a big if, this ACR V2 is ever commercially released, I bet they will have multiple models with different stocks like there is now.

The QD barrel in reality was a gimmick. Sure it would make caliber changes, maintenance, and scheduled barrel replacement easier, but would it ever be used in a life or death situation? I don't think so. Not to mention that your zero most likely wouldn't carry over between barrels/calibers.

The complaints over the magnesium lower are a mystery to me. It's been known for a long time that Remington was going to use it and this is the first time I've heard about it being a bad idea. It can't be that bad of metal because it's been used for wheels in sports cars before and I've never heard of a problem. Is it really worse than aluminum or the polymer lower?
    Know your role, and shut your mouth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by outrider627 View Post

The QD barrel in reality was a gimmick. Sure it would make caliber changes, maintenance, and scheduled barrel replacement easier, but would it ever be used in a life or death situation? I don't think so. Not to mention that your zero most likely wouldn't carry over between barrels/calibers.
    QD barrels were never intended to be used while being shot at.

It's not a gimmick. It simplifies logistics, training and maintenance, but ups versatility and modular capabilities per weapon. It's the reason why the SCAR can easily play the role of M16/M4/M18, but not the other way around without carting around a full armorers bench, and multiple uppers, which takes far more time and energy.

The Bushmaster ACR QD barrel system was never going to be allowed onto a combat weapon, but the revised REMDEF model is more grunt proof.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Also, REMDEF showed the V2 with a folding stock, so that feature is not dead.

Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    without carting around a full armorers bench, OR multiple uppers, which takes far more time and energy.
    Swapping uppers on an AR doesn't take an armorers bench and is less work than the SCAR barrel change. Add in the fact that I at least would want to zero the new barrel and optic before going out to the time and energy table.

In the end the QD barrel will be a plus for assembly, maintenance, the spec sheet, and a few select users, but if the cost and or weight is too much I'd be more interested in one without it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Also, REMDEF showed the V2 with a folding stock, so that feature is not dead.

The second photo is a Gen1 ACR, third photo is a Gen2 ACR with the folding stock, so yes it appears to be plug and play. Here's to hoping we get to see the Gen2 in some form down the track.

Feedback Score
    I dont really think that anyone believed that the ACR would keep the barrel wrench mounted to the weapon.

I really just believe that since Remington is targeting Mil/LEO with this it makes more sence to have the "standard" ACR in the lightest configuration(like without folding stock) so that the tech specs look better on paper.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm with Todd on this one - it's a lot faster and more reliable to just swap an upper with a zeroed optic allready on it. AR platform wins (again..)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grunz View Post
    I'm with Todd on this one - it's a lot faster and more reliable to just swap an upper with a zeroed optic allready on it. AR platform wins (again..)
    Simpler but a lot heavier. You might as well have another gun in the rack. That is simplier yet.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-21-12 at 17:46.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast