Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Suppressed Precision Long Range gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    There has to be a way to hide it the expensive bits behind a steel target.
    Yeah... that wouldn't be too hard to set up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... that wouldn't be too hard to set up.
    I hate you guys.

You, Trident, Pappabear, and somewhat IG.

Edit: I just ordered

12.5" BCM SS with DD Omega X 7 Handguard (After thinking long and hard, I did not want a low-pro GB)
    BCG/Gun Fighter CH
    Magpul MIAD
    Magpul CTR (Excellent response time from BCUSA. I emailed them notifying them that I ordered a commercial CTR by mistake and they replied to my email and corrected the order within minutes. I'm impressed. I've never had to use BCUSA's customer service before and I always hear about how they never respond to emails/answer phone calls. This only affirms my belief that perhaps they only have time for people with legitimate concerns and don't feel like bullshitting with customers about whether or not to get a 16" or 14.5" with a pinned FH for days on end.)

I also ordered a BCM lower from Grant. This way I don't have to run an SBR lower on my 16" upper anymore...
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 11-25-11 at 12:09.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    10.5"....damn near a half mile....target size = 12" x 8"

What could go wrong??

If I f**k this up I'm blaming Mark

NECRO

I just wanted to add something for those whom were interested in this particular test....

While I never got around to shooting that jug setup with a 10.5" AR, I did recently perform a very similar test while evaluating a new DD 14.5" LW CHF barrel.

At 779yds, a 75gr. HPBT bullet is beyond anemic, and is in pellet gun territory. So it's safe to say that the 10.5" would be for all practical purposes DOA at target.

Before...

After...

Video....

First outing with the SMR MK2....shooting 1gal. milk jugs @ 779yds

As you can see, if the jugs weren't hit low enough they wouldn't even drain completely. Also you'll see in the video that when the jugs are hit, they hardly move at all. Quite eye opening to see rounds fully expended on a reactive target.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good video. And really good shooting.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Trident, I like that G SMR MKII. How much are they? I have an upper to build out if I ever get some $$$
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    g5m....glad you enjoyed the video, and thanks for the kind words

pb....rogtac is the only place I've seen them at thus far outside of GA direct. They list them at $295

http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/ra...3mk2-sand.html

The GA "sand" finish is sick, and I'm not a FDE guy at all.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-16-12 at 01:37.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Yes I've noticed

We went full TRIDENT yesterday and shot Pappabear's 12.5" BCM with M4-2000 (ACOG'd) at 500, 700, and 800 yards.

The 500 yard target is 9"X12"... The 700 and 800 target weren't quite double that size.

800 yards is where you might want a barrel longer than 12.5.
    Those hits were somewhat hard to get. It's stunning what you can get out of a short barrel.

I'm glad to see more and more great reports on the reach of the "shorty's." I haven't taken mine out past 400 yards yet as per a posting on that, but look forward to seeing just how far the 11.5 will go with accuracy.

Trident appreciate you sharing your efforts and fun.

Thanks for the report!
    Last edited by 308sako; 09-16-12 at 19:16. Reason: Thanks to Trident as well

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    At 779yds, a 75gr. HPBT bullet is beyond anemic, and is in pellet gun territory. So it's safe to say that the 10.5" would be for all practical purposes DOA at target.
    Iraqgunz has an account of an SF guy getting a kill with Mk 262 ammo at about that range... 700ish yards. It was a 14.5" M4 I think.

I wouldn't write off the bullet as anemic just based on Water jugs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Iraqgunz has an account of an SF guy getting a kill with Mk 262 ammo at about that range... 700ish yards. It was a 14.5" M4 I think.

I wouldn't write off the bullet as anemic just based on Water jugs.
    Very true. I have some experience with long range shooting. Mostly machine guns but some precision rifle. While a 5.56 wont fragment or create big temporary cavitation at long distance it still will put a hole, most likely, completely through your body.

If I punch a hole through a bad guys liver at 700 yards and he takes a while to bleed out, Im okay with that.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    If I punch a hole through a bad guys liver at 700 yards and he takes a while to bleed out, Im okay with that.
    Yeah. Not like he's going to rub dirt on it and get back into the fight.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast