Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I like swords.....

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'm fond of swords. Perhaps overly fond of swords (I own three well-made, modern reproductions with custom-made scabbards and belts). And I'm sure that, before Colt's Revolving Pistol became a Big Thing, I probably would have carried one as a sidearm (to complement a brace of pistols, in the age of reliable firearms, naturally). But I can't help but feel that the last major hand weapons used by our ancestors before the repeating handgun replaced them all (and conveniently, some of the first real weapons we human beings ever made) would be better options, if you want dedicated killing instruments: The long knife, Bowie, dagger, and tomahawk. There are even 'practical' tomahawks that are designed chiefly as tools, with the weapon-thing being more of an afterthought (they're heavier and not as well-balanced as a tomahawk intended for killing).

Actually, one that I would really seriously consider is the walking axe. Think of a cane, but replace the crook with an axe head (nominally used just like the 'handle' of the cane).

Nevertheless, neat sword. How does it balance compared to its forebears?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    In the middle of judo/ju-jitsu training , I took a year of kendo[ Korean sword sport]. Even though it was done with bamboo trainers, which really hurt by the way, it showed me it is almost impossible to engage and come out unharmed. I loved the one on one competition in martial arts in general, but when I think of battlefields full of soldiers hacking each other up, well I'm afraid I find myself lacking. Just shoot me.
    Krull, you should check into Kendo...I have such fond memories of that little communist whipping the hell outta' me with a stick.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @ dash1:When I got the sword made Dale was in his early 60's and not in too good health being a guy that worked in the Pacific Northwest all his life,I checked up on him not too long ago and if I recall he wasn't making anymore but his son was.

Look up eight dollar mountain foundry and see they may still be out there.

@ Army Chief:Yep I know about the ugly fact of being sliced up good in any edged confrontation,for me it's just a part of it and if it happens any scars would be an honer since it means I didn't give up and kept fighting.

In a way while I like guns I do prefer swords a bit more since there's a hardness that you don't get with a gun,and strange as it sounds some humility since you'd have to get right up on someone and literally watch them die whereas a gun it's point and click.

I think it teaches you to value life when you fight like that.

Really while I like my AR I've always said when it comes down to it give me a handgun and a sword and that's all I need to survive if things o sideways
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This one is answering Fjallhrafn:

With Scorpion Swords one thing traditional sword folk give them grief for is their stuff is heavy,some of their twenty four inch swords are three pounds plus....

Now if you fancy a fine cutting sword? with wonderful balance?? forget Chris right off his swords are hackers straight up but with this design it works as 90% of it's use is stabbing and making the odd cut,the weight makes those cuts pretty damn effective and make it a solid as hell thrusting weapon.

I haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing it's two and half pounds easy,a nice compact made like a tank short sword.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    That is quite a nice looking sword. Looks something like a Roman Gladius, except the Gladius was more of a stabbing instrument than a cutting one.
    RudyN

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    what did it run you?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

So I like swords.....

Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    Really while I like my AR I've always said when it comes down to it give me a handgun and a sword and that's all I need to survive if things o sideways
    Dear Mr. Krull,
    Nice sword. Now, not to be all gloomy Gus and all, but as cool as swords are, you do realize that when "things go sideways" a nice man with a rifle will just shoot you and take your nifty sword?

Just sayin.

Seriously, though, that's a pretty cool sword.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Dear Mr. Krull,
    Nice sword. Now, not to be all gloomy Gus and all, but as cool as swords are, you do realize that when "things go sideways" a nice man with a rifle will just shoot you and take your nifty sword?

Just sayin.

Seriously, though, that's a pretty cool sword.
    You never go head on at range to a gun Vs. an edged weapon THAT is stupid.

It's ether surprise attack or night work to use an edged weapon right nowadays,unless as I said it's used when all else is used up (bayonet? screw that! I have a goddamn sword!) a man being quiet with a sharp pointy at night is very,very deadly.

And let's not forget the twenty one foot rule:a person gets within twenty one feet of you with a knife and you're right fooked even if you have a gun...unless it's in your hand,and then charging you is downright retarded.

And price all up was $306
    Last edited by Krull; 08-07-13 at 09:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okay this took a few days....

This is the old cutlass I had done up by Dale Sanderson,I bought a cheap $99 Windlass cutlass with a brass handle and tested the ever lovin' snot out of it to make sure it was a real sword and not a wall hanger.
    it did well and for anyone that sees those things all that sucks is the brass handle,it's just screwed on and will come loose with any hard use but the blade is tempered right and will flex like hell and pop back.

As you can see I've carried the hell out of it with no mercy,it has rust,grime,blood,and general wear on it I replaced the black paracord with the olive and repainted the handle once already.

The cast aluminum is pretty damn tough if a little ugly:

If his son is making them still and you fancy a trench knife then there's nothing wrong with these,and if you find a used one snap it up! he used old saw blades and the L6 it's made from is very good knife stock.

Unless you come across a customer supplied blade like mine.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    Personally I class that as less than practical, but it looks pretty cool. If I were going to have a sword made for the back country it would probably have to be the American Kami Model S60 Tacopis as it could act as a both very effective machete and an anti-personnel/anti-wildlife weapon.
    Nice looking stuff, but for that price I'd expect more options than chisel grind, which I detest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast