Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elysium Review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    anything with Matt Damon is immediately suspect with me for some underlying agenda in a movie

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    anything with Matt Damon is immediately suspect with me for some underlying agenda in a movie
    Agree.

C4

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    How you can say "One of the worst I've ever seen" followed "And I'm a huge sci-fi junkie" in the same post I have no idea, but that's what make horse racing as they say.
    I had high expectations for it going in, and it had some good things going for it from a technical standpoint. I also thought the action sequence at the end where he was able to use the mech was entertaining. However, when the movie was over I was actually pissed that I had just paid good money to watch it. I didn't like the social commentary or the filming style of the movie at all. I think the only movie I've ever seen all the way through that I liked less was Skyline.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I had high expectations for it going in, and it had some good things going for it from a technical standpoint. I also thought the action sequence at the end where he was able to use the mech was entertaining. However, when the movie was over I was actually pissed that I had just paid good money to watch it. I didn't like the social commentary or the filming style of the movie at all. I think the only movie I've ever seen all the way through that I liked less was Skyline.
    I think most goof sci fi movies have a social theme, but it's not stuffed down your throat start to finish. District 9 had a strong social message and it worked. This movie, the social message was the movie, and everything else secondary to that. That was annoying and in addition to the other issues I had, ruined this movie for me. And to boot, when one actually examines the "happy ending" of the movie, it makes no sense!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    Had he written and or directed it, for sure. That he simply was the lead actor, no.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Pure eye candy. Saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for the dystopian sci-fi genre. I like how they show the Earth being over crowded, Kalifornia as Mexcio North. As with Avatar I found myself rooting for the "bad guys" in this one. Loved Sharlto Copley's character, Kruger he got ripped for that role. Couldn't believe what a hard ass bad guy he can play as we usually see him play nerdy good guy types (A-Team, District 9). Nice touch with the South African mercs, cool toys.

They attempted to explore "Class Warfare" a bit, per Hollywood SOP they go full retard with the progressive bovine feces.
    +2

I enjoyed it very much. Would give it a solid B+. A few of the scenes and plot lines could've been done better i.e. minimal security on the billionaire guy who owned the factory? C'mon... Also when the factory section that Matt Damon was working on malfunctioned, there was no manual override to turn it of?? And this is in the future...pshhh.

The rest of the plot is solid IMO. I did like the fact that it showed how poverty can take over, and the use of robotic LEO's. The system is not going to be perfect in the Elysium which is why they still kept getting illegals. You would think that they would already have a fool proof security system, but it shows man's ingenuity regardless of the obstacles.

I highly recommend watching it if you like movies such as District 9, and Total Recall (new)
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 12-27-13 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And even in that attempted message, it utterly fails. The planet is over run with people, lack of food, etc, and making them all healthy via super med bays will is a good idea? Even the "happy ending" of the movie left me going "WTF?" You'll now have an over populated planet of healthy starving people who will not die? None of it made sense if you thought about it. So, the place the rich people had was now open to billions on billions of people on the planet. That's defacto a good thing? Why?
    Movies like these will always have that type of ending where it leaves it to the viewers imagination what will happen when the credits roll.

District 9 is the same; is he really going to be able to return to human form when the bugs come back?

It is a happy (ish) ending. Some sacrifices have to be made in order for the greater good, Ala "300" and "Braveheart".
    Viewers should never expect a perfect outcome of any movie, because nothing in life is perfect. Assuming such will always leave you disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    I thought District 9 was awesome - especially for it being a directorial debut. As to Elysium it had cool effects but was underwhelming. The two thing that bothered me most was the fact a) Elysium was too small to house all the people etc. it was supposed to - which was most visible once things started crashing into the gardens and you could get a scale for how small the place really was (remember the ****ing thing had been up there for at least 30 years and no one apparently died up there - or at least must have lived longer than present day man - whilst at the same time increasing the population (having kids)), and b) it was still visible from earth.

Sharlto Copley is the only reason to see this movie (and there's probably a Best of Kruger video on youtube soon so I won't have to).
    Regarding the bolded, you'd have to consider that it may be just the first Elysium and there is a possibility of building more.
    a) The cost of building such a location/facility is stupendous, which is why only the super rich are able to go there.
    b) Stars and the moon are visible from earth too. Elysium was not very far from Earth at all in the movie.

I tend to watch these sci-fi/futuristic movies with an open mind. Expecting too much all the time will always lead to questioning holes in the movie.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    minimal security on the billionaire guy who owned the factory?
    The two robots he had fought pretty well. If they attackers didn't have a Main Character with them, the robots would prolly have won the firefight
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    The two robots he had fought pretty well. If they attackers didn't have a Main Character with them, the robots would prolly have won the firefight
    What I meant was that they were easily able to take the billionaire's spacecraft down with hardly any issue. The 2 robot guards were good, but once he was on the ground he was a sitting duck.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm surprised that the tone isn't more scathing.

I saw this movie and I was beyond disappointed. it was so politically motivated it was disgusting. the whole movie just screamed matt damon. the entire discourse of the movie is anti border patrol anti America. it's totally obvious that it's a mexico vs. America and mexico has all the poor unfortunate souls that need help and only want to come to America so they can get healthcare and a real shot at life. even the ghetto that the white guy lead actor grew up in speaks Spanish! and that's hilarious, your discourse is to benefit the misfortunate colored people but your hero has to be a white knight. typical Hollywood hypocritical garbage.

It definitely seemed like Jodi foster making the call to shoot down immigrant spacecraft was a jab at border patrol being too violent to "innocent" immigrants who are just trying to find a better life for themselves.

all the immigrants wanted was a shot at free health care.

the end of the movie shows one flick of a switch deploys all these previously unmobilized health care units... at what cost? doesn't show the cost in resources. just shows them all deploying. as if they could service the entire overpopulated earth. as if America or even the entire first world could provide the highest level of health care for every single person on earth who isn't even remotely educated about health and fitness. one does have to beg the question, what good is it servicing the health of someone who doesn't know how to take care of his or herself???

this movie was for stupid bleeding heart liberals that like to feel good and ignore reality.
    Last edited by trinydex; 12-31-13 at 04:34.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast