Quote Originally Posted by tophernj View Post
(re-posting as I had this in the "wrong" forum, apparently.)

Howdy all.

I've been collecting parts for a "precision" AR build and am, as always, seeking advice from those that are more knowledgeable than myself. Most of my questions are centered around the upper. The lower is built and done. I have a forged Aero, Timney Targa 2-Stage trigger, and a Magpul 404 MOE stock as the basics.

Rifle's use will be prone and bench shooting to 300 for the majority of its life with some shooting to 700 if/when I get the chance. I plan to glass it with a 1-6 or 8 or a 2.5-10, so basically a lower mag scope for fun shooting. Barrel will be an 18-20". Caliber is up in the air but it's between a 6.5G or .223. FWIW I'm not at all worried about the caliber at this time. I'm still puzzling out the pros and cons for each.

The upper is where my questions come from.

First up: How much of a difference would a billet upper make over a forged? I understand that the billet is stiffer but does that make so much of a difference? Additionally, is it worth it to "face" the upper and should I look to "bed" the barrel into the receiver and how much of a difference would that make?

Thanks in advance.
A heavy billet upper may have a slight edge over a mil spec forged but it will be overkill on your lower (And look like crap). Facing a quality upper is a waste of time. Buy a BCM forged receiver and don't worry about barrel to upper fit.