Thread: Vacuum sealer and dehydrator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Been using a food saver vacuum sealer for just shy of a decade. Miracle for anyone who has a smoker. Anytime I use mine, I fill it up with Ribs, Brisket, Pork Butt and anything we don't eat I portion, vacuum and freeze. Then anytime we want BBQ, I put the frozen packs in cold water, bring them to a boil and 5 minutes after that, it's like the food just came off the smoker. My buddy showed me more than a decade ago and I called BS, but am here to say it took a year or two for me to try it out. AMAZING. Just remember to keep bags on hand, if you run out, no vacuum seeing for you. Costco a great place, but walmart stocks as well.

All the other uses are fantastic as well, need me a dehydrator, for peppers and fruit, would go well with my instant pressure cooker I'm now addicted to.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    would go well with my instant pressure cooker I'm now addicted to.
    I've been eyeing one of those as well. Did you get the Instant Pot brand?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I've been eyeing one of those as well. Did you get the Instant Pot brand?
    Yes, although just get a quality one, definitely on sale (surlatab/williamssonoma/etc) as they are all just pressure cookers with interior pans. 20 minute chicken legs & thighs are a weekly staple meal, although the first time I was sure we all were going to the hospital (20 min???). Done ribs, pulled pork, beef stew, braised anything, whole chicken, whatever google the recipes and you're good to go. Inner pots are stainless, so wipe down and dishwasher safe. Pressure cook a cup of vinegar for 20 minutes to clean as well.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I’ve had a vacuum seal er for about 15 years. Used it to package wild game, fish and all kinds of other stuff.
    Wephen we were moving, I had to place my gunsafe in storage. The higher quality 1911s were sealed after being wrapped in silicone inmpregnated cloths. The piece of mind that vacuum sealer gave me was worth the cost of that alone.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ziploc uses a special bag.

I don't think they would be best for high volume and are quart/gallon only.

https://ziplocvacuumsealer.com/searc...product&q=Hand

Small volume or items that need to be portioned out/opened and resealed they work very well.

My mid 90's vacuum packer came with a roll of smooth bag material. Nearly impossible to not leave an air pocket and then on top of that the holding the lid down long enough for the heating wire/cutter then lifting and removing just right was more about random luck than repeatable technique. Then I bought another that came with the channeled bags and a decent seal and cut apparatus.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-18 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve had a basic FoodSaver for a few years. I bought it because CostCo meat is good quality but comes in quantities that I can’t use all at once. I use it mostly for sous vide cooking, so bag and seal the meats that I buy in quantities that I can cook two at a time. My wife is opposed to cluttered counters, so it needed to be a machine that was small enough to be easily stored. The one that Costco has on sale is nice, but wouldn’t fly around here....too big. I think vacuum sealers are one of the most useful applicances in the kitchen. It certainly gets used a lot more than the food processor or the bread maker.