Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Handgun or pistol defense against bear attacks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Well, you win the internet for today. Congratulations!

I'll continue carrying 44 Mag when in bear country. You are free to carry 9mm, I don't care enough to argue about it on the internet.

Its not like it hasn't already been done thousands of times before in gun forums all over the internet.
    Despite a few real world success stories with 9mm, I also choose my 10mm over 9mm every time, and prefer my shotgun with Brenneke slugs if the situation permits. 9mm "can" get the job done, but hardly the best tool for the job when dealing with big animals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Well, you win the internet for today. Congratulations!

I'll continue carrying 44 Mag when in bear country. You are free to carry 9mm, I don't care enough to argue about it on the internet.

Its not like it hasn't already been done thousands of times before in gun forums all over the internet.
    Dude, I appreciate the “win”….9 wouldn’t be my first choice either … I’d rather carry a M203 with HEDP if I knew I was intentionally going into hostile Grizz country, and looking for a fight… but, if 9 is all you have… there are proven rounds that can/have saved people from becoming a meal… something to be said about carrying weapon that you can make fast and accurate (potentially multiple) hits on a pissed off moving target.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    9mm "can" get the job done, but hardly the best tool for the job when dealing with big animals.
    I would replace “9mm” with “even the biggest magnum handgun”, and then second the long gun if at all possible recommendation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Despite a few real world success stories with 9mm, I also choose my 10mm over 9mm every time, and prefer my shotgun with Brenneke slugs if the situation permits. 9mm "can" get the job done, but hardly the best tool for the job when dealing with big animals.
    Exactly. Why risk it with 9mm? A few successful stories but it’s not the best tool for big animals.
    Carry something bigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 202 View Post
    Exactly. Why risk it with 9mm? A few successful stories but it’s not the best tool for big animals.
    Carry something bigger.
    I’d have no problem carrying a 9mm with heavy bullets. Some of you act like a bear is a T Rex. I’m not saying a 9mm is best because it isn’t. But give me 17 shots of 9mm over a heavy 6 shooter all day
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I’d have no problem carrying a 9mm with heavy bullets. Some of you act like a bear is a T Rex. I’m not saying a 9mm is best because it isn’t. But give me 17 shots of 9mm over a heavy 6 shooter all day
    15 rounds of 10mm (Glock 20) would be better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 202 View Post
    15 rounds of 10mm (Glock 20) would be better.
    Well of course. I would take either over so big heavy 6 shooter
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I second 10mm for this potential use case, because I carry and practice with mag fed handguns a lot more than wheel guns.

Feedback Score

Handgun or pistol defense against bear attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    And what happened ? I need to look into some of these bullets. Can someone point me to best bullets for my 9mm HK P30 for hairy critters. In reality, AZ doesn't have big bears but our wolf problem is growing and will suck in future years.

PB
    You are basically looking for flat nose hard cast ammo. Typically Underwood Ammo or Buffalo Bore are the most common names you hear. They both have hard cast in most cartridges. I like Underwood personally. Good ammo:

https://underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-...-hunting-ammo/

Buffalo Bore is more spendy but every bit as good, and owned Tim Sundles is a very experienced outdoorsman and hunter:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=389

You can roll your own if you like. These are the actual bullets Buffalo Bore uses:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/9mm...n-per-400.html

Double tap is another brand.

Alaska master bear guide Phil Shoemaker used a single stack 9MM with Buffalo Bore ammo to defend fishing clients and kill a large brown bear inside 10 yards. His story is amazing but he was very cool under the pressure and made the hits count.

https://buffalobore.net/images/PhilShoemaker.jpg

Still, the shots traveled almost through the 700 lbs bear broadside. Story is out there if you Google it. I’ve read in a lesser account that he regretted carrying the 9MM but it worked…last round finished the job. Maybe some Devine intervention helped…

A 200 lbs wolf would be less formidable…

ETA: I think folks get too mixed up about “hunting a bear with a handgun” and using a handgun to defend themselves against a bear.

Hunting ethically would be choosing a cartridge that will dispatch the animal cleanly and humanely, preferably with a single round, and a calm well placed shot. Definitely would not choose a 9 or even 10MM for that.

But defending? Give me a pistol I can shoot well and repeatedly under pressure and lots of solid, flat nose, deep penetrating bullets. I’m hoping to be hitting and breaking skull, spinal, and structural bones, not a double lung/heart shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 12-13-23 at 06:14.

Feedback Score
    Flat nose .40 & .45 acp will cut a wider hole than 9x19.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast