Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Eotech XPS line?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think it has been stated here before, but you should not be focusing on the reticle. You should be looking through the reticle at your target.

The more you focus on the reticle, the more fuzzy/pixelated it will appear.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Couldn't decide between T-1, XPS2, or OPMOD. I finally went with OPMOD despite it being 8oz heavier than the T-1 because of the built-in riser, the quick-detach mount, and the side buttons. And it was only $15 more than the XPS2 and $200 cheaper than a T-1 with Larue mount.

I couldn't care less about the battery life. If it dies, I'll put in a new one. Between my iMod stock, my TangoDown grip, and my pockets, I can carry enough batteries to run the thing well beyond my own lifespan. Never did understand battery life concerns of optics for the non-military.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Never did understand battery life concerns of optics for the non-military.
    Really?
    The difference between having an aiming device that can be set at a usable level of brightness and left that way for 4 years versus one that has to be turned on and frequently op-checked seems like a pretty clear advantage of the former over the latter.

I see battery life and robustness as highly desirable attributes, especially if I have to buy my own batteries and don't have 39 other guys to cover me if my optic goes tits-up.

Before anybody accuses me of being an insufferable fan-boy, I recently purchased an EXPS3-2, and am enjoying it.

Aimpoints and EoTechs have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, and the awesome battery life of Aimpoints is a highly usable and simple advantage.

With the EoTech (with 1 MOA dot and 65 MOA ring) the advantage is with the reticle and larger "field of dot". It makes unconventional positions easier, the ring guides the eye to the dot and provides a close-range POA/POI, and the dot covers less of the target, even if the reticle is over-illuminated. Once again, these features are advantages.

The biggest thing to come to terms with is what you are willing to give up to gain those advantages. Training will make a user able to narrow the reticle advantage, and training and repetition will enable a user to habitually pick up the gun and bump the optic on, but no amount of training will make a battery last longer in an EoTech or make an Aimpoint tube larger.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Really?
    The difference between having an aiming device that can be set at a usable level of brightness and left that way for 4 years versus one that has to be turned on and frequently op-checked seems like a pretty clear advantage of the former over the latter.
    Yes. Really. I guess we all have our own expectations. Four year battery life isn't one of mine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Couldn't decide between T-1, XPS2, or OPMOD. I finally went with OPMOD despite it being 8oz heavier than the T-1 because of the built-in riser, the quick-detach mount, and the side buttons. And it was only $15 more than the XPS2 and $200 cheaper than a T-1 with Larue mount.

I couldn't care less about the battery life. If it dies, I'll put in a new one. Between my iMod stock, my TangoDown grip, and my pockets, I can carry enough batteries to run the thing well beyond my own lifespan. Never did understand battery life concerns of optics for the non-military.
    I dont know about you but i sleep fairly lightly however, upon waking up i am absolutely worthless. The last thing i want to do if i hear a bump in the night is have to worry about whether or not the batteries in my optic are dead.

Try doing some low/no light shooting when extremely tired using your optic as a ghost ring with and without a white light...

Its not fun man.

Ultimately, to each their own by that statement used as a counter argument isnt a very good one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

Ultimately, to each their own by that statement used as a counter argument isnt a very good one.
    I'm not counter-arguing. I'm stating my opinion. Yours is different. I get it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    ... The fuzzy reticule didn't really bother me when I was testing mines inside the house ...
    Isn't that hard on the carpeting?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    People will be arguing about the battery life of these 2 brands until we are all ash. Forget about it.

What I want to know is the actual user opinions on having the the brightness buttons on the back vs on the side. I'm thinking of getting the EXPS model due to the fact I thought the buttons on back may be a bit tougher to use rather than the side buttons. Whatcha all think?
    Burn the bridge behind you, leave no retreat; for there is only...one way home!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugentforoffice View Post
    People will be arguing about the battery life of these 2 brands until we are all ash. Forget about it.

What I want to know is the actual user opinions on having the the brightness buttons on the back vs on the side. I'm thinking of getting the EXPS model due to the fact I thought the buttons on back may be a bit tougher to use rather than the side buttons. Whatcha all think?
    Personally I think they're easier to use on the rear because they stick out a little and you can address them without taking your cheek off the stock. On the side, they're recessed behind the shroud. If you're ever going to use a magnifier, however, on the side for sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Alright, stop it Brother! You are using too much reason! Stop making sense

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Aimpoints and EoTechs have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, and the awesome battery life of Aimpoints is a highly usable and simple advantage.

With the EoTech (with 1 MOA dot and 65 MOA ring) the advantage is with the reticle and larger "field of dot". It makes unconventional positions easier, the ring guides the eye to the dot and provides a close-range POA/POI, and the dot covers less of the target, even if the reticle is over-illuminated. Once again, these features are advantages.

The biggest thing to come to terms with is what you are willing to give up to gain those advantages. Training will make a user able to narrow the reticle advantage, and training and repetition will enable a user to habitually pick up the gun and bump the optic on, but no amount of training will make a battery last longer in an EoTech or make an Aimpoint tube larger.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast