Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about the Vltor A5 ? ?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    To expand on that a bit, the A5 buffer tube is 0.75" longer than the standard one. It has to be longer to accommodate the longer buffer. There is a specific A5 tube, but the AR10 tube will also work as its the same length. You just lose the first stock position hole IIRC (I'm using the AR10 tube on one of mine with a sopmod stock).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Because every AR in the whole world is not reliable enough without the A5 now?

The A5 system was developed to address a reliability issue with the collapsible stock on the M16 Rifle - and yes, during independent testing involving many, many thousands of rounds and a controlled group of test weapons, the A5 system did improve reliability significantly.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The A5 helps a little with recoil management. It's not a big deal, but there's no reason not to put one on other than spending the money. For me, the difference is noticeable enough that it was worth the $135 I spent on it.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-05-13 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Reliability is only half the equation. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Because the carbine buffer system was well outside of the intended design envelope created by Stoner/Sullivan. The carbine RE, spring, and buffer was a red headed stepchild created by Colt in order to make a shorter, adjustable stock possible. If you know your history, you know that it took Colt about a decade of making this system before they could get it to function with any advertisable degree of "reliability".

It was a compromise then and it's still a compromise now.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    The A5 helps a little with recoil management. It's not a big deal, but there's no reason not to put one on other than spending the money. For me, the difference is noticeable enough that it was worth the $135 I spent on it.
    I don't own the A5, nor am I knocking it, but I have shot a carbine with one installed. I elected to go the Sprinco route instead. Not that the carbine platform was such an uncontrollable beast or had undesirable recoil to begin with, but the Sprinco springs, with the appropriate buffer weights, have practically had similar desired effects. As far as I could tell the recoil felt very similar, with the edge going to the A5. The enhanced buffer springs have made my carbines much smoother shooters and the system more optimized, at least for my needs. YMMV.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    My understanding is that carbine length gas sytems benefit most from the A5, while the difference in performance is not as noticeable on mid-length systems. I have no experience with the A5, but based on my research, I feel my current set-up does warrant the upgrade.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I don't own the A5, nor am I knocking it, but I have shot a carbine with one installed. I elected to go the Sprinco route instead. Not that the carbine platform was such an uncontrollable beast or had undesirable recoil to begin with, but the Sprinco springs, with the appropriate buffer weights, have practically had similar desired effects. As far as I could tell the recoil felt very similar, with the edge going to the A5. The enhanced buffer springs have made my carbines much smoother shooters and the system more optimized, at least for my needs. YMMV.
    Heretic! Prepare for the Inquisition!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I agree. If you're gonna stick with the carbine system, Springco's springs are top notch and very nearly mandatory IMHO.

Their 5-coil extractor springs are still my favorite and my go-to springs for my personal guns.

EDIT: I'll add that I've owned every single Springco Spring aside from the new .308-purposed "Orange"....and no combination of buffer weight or spring could achieve the same type of ultra-smooth recoil stroke as the A5 did in my BCM 14.5" middy. I also experimented with the Tubbs SSS CS flatwire spring, BCM spring, Brownells CS, etc. Every buffer weight from H->H3 and even one of Slash's SS body custom buffers also were tried.

I'm not saying that upgrading to the A5 is mandatory, but I spent a LOT of my own money only to discover that the A5 simply has no peer right now.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-05-13 at 18:00.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The A5 more closely emulates Stoner's original design with the AR15. That CANNOT be a bad thing. I have one lower with an A5H3. With this particular lower it has locked back on last round and functioned perfectly with:

1. My two uppers that are 14.5 middys (DD & BCM barrels). One with a BCM BCG. The other a LMT E-Carrier

2. A 10.5 DD barrel (BCG unknown) with a can and without

3. A Colt HBAR upper.

4. Another Middy 14.5 (BCM barrel/BCG).

5. A Troy 16" middy upper.

6. A DD 16" carbine length (BCM BCG) gas gun

7. A 10.5" crappy way over gassed barrel with a BCM BCG

8. A BCM upper that has a 16" middy barrel

9. Spikes 14.5" middy barrel with a WMD nickel boron BCG.

This goes without saying that the other lower with an A5H2 works just as well. It works and works very well (while making the action slightly smoother) over a wide spectrum of upper configurations. I doubt many other setups can boast this performance.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 08-05-13 at 19:37.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast