Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Recent Army M16/M4 bolt issues

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Weird, Ive shot both 7n6 and the Wolf stuff and Ive never had lacquer melt in my chamber even after a few mag dumps on a hot day. You sure it was lacquer? Like did you shine a flashlight into your chamber and found brown gunk in there?

Also never used a chamber brush either, just hot water, air compressor and an oil patch after(I just mop the chamber with an oil patch). Ive had zero stuck cases with 95% 7n6 and the rest mixed commercial 5.45 stuff.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-19-20 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Weird, Ive shot both 7n6 and the Wolf stuff and Ive never had lacquer melt in my chamber even after a few mag dumps on a hot day. You sure it was lacquer? Like did you shine a flashlight into your chamber and found brown gunk in there?

Also never used a chamber brush either, just hot water, air compressor and an oil patch after(I just mop the chamber with an oil patch). Ive had zero stuck cases with 95% 7n6 and the rest mixed commercial 5.45 stuff.
    All lacquer is not created equal.

In a study of lacquer coatings for steel cartridge cases, the Army found that certain formulations of lacquer are prone to become "gluey" under certain conditions. The report goes on the detail how to avoid such problems by manufacturing and applying the lacquer in the correct manner.

In all likelihood, 5.45 x 39 cartridge cases are produced on military production lines with military production processes and controls, therefore, would have slightly higher quality assurance inspections. Any .223 ammunition components produced in steel case countries would not be in any way related to military standards and made for maximum profit.
    Last edited by lysander; 11-20-20 at 06:11.

Feedback Score
    And, as previously mentioned, the chamber of the S&W may have been a tad out of spec.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    And, as previously mentioned, the chamber of the S&W may have been a tad out of spec.
    Ive gone through 2 S&W 5.45 barrels with no issues as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Jim-Barrel-KIA
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-20-20 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's been pretty well established that the lacquer buildup is largely a myth. You can't discount the possibility that it was a problem with some ammo at some point in time, but you also can't discount the possibility that it was pure BS from the get go. In any case, it's not something we have to worry about. Especially if you use a chamber brush. Did I mention I like chamber brushes?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    All lacquer is not created equal.

In a study of lacquer coatings for steel cartridge cases, the Army found that certain formulations of lacquer are prone to become "gluey" under certain conditions. The report goes on the detail how to avoid such problems by manufacturing and applying the lacquer in the correct manner.

In all likelihood, 5.45 x 39 cartridge cases are produced on military production lines with military production processes and controls, therefore, would have slightly higher quality assurance inspections. Any .223 ammunition components produced in steel case countries would not be in any way related to military standards and made for maximum profit.
    I'm not above doing mag dumps with my suppressed mk18 using tulammo. Can't say I have any complaints, outside of the dirty powder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That reminds me of when I ran into some camo dude wannabes at the pit, multicam vests, helmets, gloves, tactical belts, the whole nine yards. Friendly guys though, one of them offered to let me shoot his AR, I said "sure" and grabbed one of my mags loaded up with laquer coated Brown Bear, as soon as he saw that the expression on his face changed, said he didn't want any laquer coated steel case going through his gun, didn't want to mess up his chamber. No problem, it's his gun, his decision, but it just made me chuckle, to get all camo'd out like that and then wet your pants over a little laquer. I've never had a problem with stuck cases firing thousands of rounds of steel case that was either laquer coated or poly coated, never had a problem switching from steel to brass back to steel back to brass without cleaning. I think the steel case ammo chamber issues are a myth.
    Last edited by kirkland; 11-21-20 at 00:41.

Feedback Score
    Ive gone through 2 S&W 5.45 barrels with no issues as well.
    I must correct myself. The original barrel I had on the S&W was the OEM chrome lined one. I made a pistol out of it by cutting it back to 11" (of course I used a different lower before someone goes there). Eventually I bought a BA 14.5" melonited barrel which I took to the carbine class and had the stuck cases problem with. That is the reason to this day I still won't do a melonited/QPQ/similar barrel ever again. Now could the chamber have been out of spec? Sure, that's possible. Does melonite not play well with steel-cased ammo? Maybe not. Combination of both? Could be that too. Don't know for sure.

Just wanted to clarify that the chrome lined S&W barrel was NOT the one I used at that carbine class where I had problems.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It's been pretty well established that the lacquer buildup is largely a myth. You can't discount the possibility that it was a problem with some ammo at some point in time, but you also can't discount the possibility that it was pure BS from the get go. In any case, it's not something we have to worry about. Especially if you use a chamber brush. Did I mention I like chamber brushes?
    IMHO the single most important tool one can have for an AR-based weapon. Above all others. Like if you could only pick ONE item for maintenance it would be a chamber brush.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    IMHO the single most important tool one can have for an AR-based weapon. Above all others. Like if you could only pick ONE item for maintenance it would be a chamber brush.
    My brother!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast