Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clearing weapon of ammo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Let me add-

Do not drop a round into the chamber and close the bolt on it. It's hard on the extractor.

Do not "slingshot" the charging handle which is pulling back the charging handle and letting it go. This can cause some types of charging handles (in particular, the standard CH) to bend after awhile. It is better to lock the bolt back, push the CH back into place and lock it and use the bolt release
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Let me add-

Do not drop a round into the chamber and close the bolt on it. It's hard on the extractor.

Do not "slingshot" the charging handle which is pulling back the charging handle and letting it go. This can cause some types of charging handles (in particular, the standard CH) to bend after awhile. It is better to lock the bolt back, push the CH back into place and lock it and use the bolt release
    I disagree with both of these statements.

ETA; sorry, didn't mean this to be a drive-by post.

Dropping a round into the chamber and letting the bolt go home, snapping the extractor over the rim is exactly what the system does every time a round is chambered. There is clearance in the lugs to allow this to happen. An AR bolt is not a 1911 slide.

Sling-shotting the charging handle is likewise fine. The issue with bent/broken charging handles is from people sticking extended latches on them and exerting lateral pressure by "knife-handing" the CH/latch.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Let me add-

I wouldn't pass this info around as being fact, it's simply not true and not how you would want to teach the manual of arms on an M4.

First off, it is rare that you would hand feed an M4, unless maybe you were working from the bench, etc and even then it wont hurt a quality extractor. Secondly using the charging handle to charge the weapon is perfectly fine with a quality CH. Properly lube your CH and use proper technique and you shouldn't have any issues using the part as it was intended.

If you prefer to use those methods for yourself that's fine, but don't spread them as the proper way to run an M4.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's what I'd been taught, although now that I think about it, the warning about single loading into the chamber might have been to avoid a slamfire.

While researching charging handles, I came across someplace that it was bad to slingshot the CH because it would bend (warp) and one reason the Gunfighter was better

I don't remember the sources now. So be it. That's why I always crack open the maintenance manual before beginning any task on my aircraft- can't always rely on memeory
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    The issues of the CH is heavy handed judo chops to an extended latch which can and will bend and break the CH.

The CH was designed for grabbing both sides not just the latch side.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    I pinch the latch with my thumb and index finger only when manipulating the weapon during malfunction clearance, for example. I also sling shot it.

I have had the same charging handle on my gun for 5 years, with no issues.

We saw some early issues with them bending when people used the same technique for racking the charging handle on the HK416,As we ised on the G3. We were taught the knife-hand method, and the G3 requires more force than an AR-15 style weapon.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    We were taught in every combat marksmanship course/range that I have ever attended to "hook" the charging handle with your left index finger then complete the "pinch" by placing your thumb on the back of the charging handle and squeezing those 2 digits together (which releases the pressure of the latch on your upper receiver thereby freeing the CH to move) and pull smartly to the rear until it physically stops then release it to go forward on its own.

My old Battalion purchased Badger Tac latches and installed them on every rifle in the battalion before my 2nd deployment and to my knowledge they are still using them and there are no reports of bent or broken CH. In fact I don't think I have ever seen one in the 8 years that I've been in the infantry.

That is not to say that it doesn't happen, that this method could cause issues, or that extended latches don't cause excessive wear and breakage. It just means that in my experience its pretty negligible.
    Last edited by usmc2014; 03-05-13 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a handy book to keep with your rifle:
    http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Mike-.../dp/0980080304

Feedback Score
    Just because nobody has said it:

-Place weapon on safe
    -Remove magazine
    -Pull charging handle to the rear
    ....Good opportunity here to watch what flies out
    -Simultaneously press on bottom of bolt catch, lock bolt to the rear