Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reciprocating charging handles (RCH) vs non-reciprocating charging handles (NRCH)

Feedback Score
    I always thought the least amount of mass moving the better. Also, with the NRCH there is less parts to wear out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The AR charging handle was made to be pulled, not kicked or pushed. It is not built for the abuse that a forward assist or bolt carrier is made to handle. That is the nature of the beast.

In my opinion, a reciprocating charging handle on top of the receiver forward of the rear sight assembly would be the way to go. It would not snag on a barricade and you would not have to break your shooting position to manipulate the charging handle. The rifle could be rotated 90 degrees and the charging handle bumped against a barricade to clear a tough malfunction.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-19-13 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have seen AK's and PKM's that were damaged by people kickstarting them when there was a stuck casing.

I'll bet that most AR's issues (such as a stuck casing) are due to out of spec chambers more so than anything else. JM2CW.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Very good analysis.

I've added a few comment in RED

Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    NRCH advantages:
    1)Can be made folding easily, reducing snag potential.
    2)Nothing is moving outside the gun, so hitting the CH during firing isn't a problem. Operator can't get caught up in the moving CH.
    3)CH can cover the required slot (Uzi, FAL).
    Slot in the AR is just a hole at the rear of the receiver and IS covered by the handle. (AR)
    4)CH is always in the same place for user to grab.
    5) CH can be easily upgraded ( Gunfighter, Raptor )
    6) CH is typically easier to use with either hand / ambi

NRCH disadvantages:
    1)More complex than RCH. Even more parts if CH incorporates FA function. (AR CH part count should really include the FA part count if you're comparing, since the AR splits those two functions).
    2)Typically not as strong as a RCH. NRCHs just aren't as robustly made as the parts are smaller. You might be able to kick a FAL open a few times but don't try that on a AR.
    3)Not useful for diagnostics. CH is always in the same place so you don't have a additional clue as to what type of stoppage you have.
    4)Requires additional manipulation to engage FA function. Push, turn, pull, there is almost always additional activity required to get a NRCH to engage as a FA.

H
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, the AR's rear set CH is an example of the CH covering its slot into the rifle.

But I'm not sure that a left handed person would agree that a stock AR CH is lefty friendly.

H

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Yes, the AR's rear set CH is an example of the CH covering its slot into the rifle.

But I'm not sure that a left handed person would agree that a stock AR CH is lefty friendly.

H
    maybe not the stock, but there is a plethora of ambi ones that are $40 and under.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    maybe not the stock, but there is a plethora of ambi ones that are $40 and under.
    But is it lefty friendly to make a left handed guy buy another part?

If I have a rack of ten rifles, it's likely that one of those is going to a left handed guy. Do I put ambi CH on all the rifles or is the southpaw screwed?

Another consideration is that a ambi CH is going to have more parts and possibly be more fragile than the stock part.

H

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

If I have a rack of ten rifles, it's likely that one of those is going to a left handed guy. Do I put ambi CH on all the rifles or is the southpaw screwed?

Another consideration is that a ambi CH is going to have more parts and possibly be more fragile than the stock part.

H
    Using that logic the AK would be unfriendly to right handed users.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Using that logic the AK would be unfriendly to right handed users.
    Only if you're going to try to run a AK like an AR. The AK's trigger, safety, CH, and mag release are all located within inches of each other and are very accessible to the right hand.

Which works for both left handed and right handed people.

H

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)

H
    Except things like the Ranier arms and BCM CH are actually vastly superior to the stock one.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast