Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got mine. They sure are purty. There's some questionable EDM or casting marks on the bolt lugs, but besides that, they appear to be awesomely machined and made. I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet but I'll report back when I do.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    So it has the "Crane Ind O-Ring" thing, just not the Black runner Extractor Insert that goes inside the spring?

I run a 14.5" middy, so I'm not really worried about it, but couldn't people just add one if the gun was over-gassed or they felt they needed it. Tons of makers didn't put it in there for a long time (some probably still don't).
    I think the main thing is that the O-rings are no longer being used since Colt got off their asses and made a proper extractor spring in 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I decided to give the relia bolt a try. Low round count so I cant say much. In general, The bolt looks well machined (clean etc.). I replaced the stock extractor spring and donut with a BCM extractor spring/insert kit. While the extractor spring that comes with the relia bolt is stiffer than some (slightly more push back than the copper washed colt spring), I found it to be slightly less rigid than the BCM extractor spring (I don't use o rings). Its likely nothing, but one thing I noticed is that the bolt-face of the relia-bolt has VERY subtle protrusions running around the outline of the face. Basically, the bolt face is not perfectly flush. As a result, the outline/design of the relia-bolt face has been stamped onto the chamber/breach face (forgive me if im using incorrect terms...im talking about the area of the chamber that the bolt-face presses against when the bolt is in battery). Ive seen milspec bolts (colt, bcm) make markings in this area, but they haven't been quite this pronounced. Like I said, it looks like a subtle stamp job. Ill report more as I shoot more. Has anyone else noticed what im talking about regarding the bolt-face of the reliabolt?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have 480 rounds on mine now and it has been just fine. Cleaned up easily enough, not super-remarkably so, still some typical buildup behind the gas rings, no concern about it. Looked at it under 10X and all is well. I had it mated with a run of the mill carrier in a 14.5" barrel.

BTW in my 2-plus decades in the moldmaking biz I never heard of Carpenter 158 as a mold steel, or any kind of 9310 for that matter. Not disputing that, different areas of the country and different segments of the industry had their different approaches to things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I have 480 rounds on mine now and it has been just fine. Cleaned up easily enough, not super-remarkably so, still some typical buildup behind the gas rings, no concern about it. Looked at it under 10X and all is well. I had it mated with a run of the mill carrier in a 14.5" barrel.

BTW in my 2-plus decades in the moldmaking biz I never heard of Carpenter 158 as a mold steel, or any kind of 9310 for that matter. Not disputing that, different areas of the country and different segments of the industry had their different approaches to things.

In your opinion does this new bolt design, not material, bring anything new to table? Or is mainly the material that has your interest in this bolt. Basicly, what are your thoughts on the Sharps Relia-bolt?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Too early to really say. All I can say for now is that in the first 500 rounds "it's as good as any". Can't say it's better. Not much of a statement but on the other hand I'm not having to say "It gave nothing but trouble from the start and then fell apart after 100 rounds".

My prediction is that it's going to be fine, that the material is as good as or better than C158 but the only real test is more bolts and more rounds. A million guns and fifty years would be a good test :-).

As to the dif in profile, I see some sense in it. This week in class we had a rifle stopped by a popped primer in the barrel extension. The ReliaBolt might have allowed that gun to keep shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    As to the dif in profile, I see some sense in it. This week in class we had a rifle stopped by a popped primer in the barrel extension. The ReliaBolt might have allowed that gun to keep shooting.
    How bad was the gun bound up from the loose primer? If nothing else the taper might have kept the primer from getting completely wedged in there.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It wasn't bound up really, just would not go into battery. Locking the bolt back I was able to shake the primer out.

Feedback Score
    Wonder how long this "limited time offer of $79.99" is going to last? I was checking out the 2014 Midsouth Shooters master catalog and they are listed at $149.99 each.

I'm glad I picked up a couple at the lower price!

Feedback Score
    Deleted because of duplicate post...damned phone.

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast