Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, we need someone with a 6.8 SBR running a suppressor to put 4K rounds through it. ;o)
    (I'm assuming 6.8 SBRs would be even more violent than a 5.56, but that's just a guess.)

Seriously, I'm emailing Sharpes again. They need to buy 5K rounds of ammo and have someone trusted run it through a new SBR that hasn't had other bolts in it.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    Yeah, we need someone with a 6.8 SBR running a suppressor to put 4K rounds through it. ;o)
    (I'm assuming 6.8 SBRs would be even more violent than a 5.56, but that's just a guess.)

Seriously, I'm emailing Sharpes again. They need to buy 5K rounds of ammo and have someone trusted run it through a new SBR that hasn't had other bolts in it.
    He did state he headspace checked the bolt and it was fine........nvm he edited that in at the bottom of his big post.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, in Sharp's defense a headspace gauge isn't going to tell if there's something wrong with the interface between one or two bolt lugs and the barrel extension.

Maybe the OP needs to send his upper-or at least his barrel-to Sharp's and let them test things out with high speed cameras to see if they can figure out what's going on.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Well, in Sharp's defense a headspace gauge isn't going to tell if there's something wrong with the interface between one or two bolt lugs and the barrel extension.

Maybe the OP needs to send his upper-or at least his barrel-to Sharp's and let them test things out with high speed cameras to see if they can figure out what's going on.
    That would be fair.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    That would be fair.
    Agree.
    The front side of the extension lugs should be inspected with a borescope. If the face of the receiver is out of square the thrust may not be even across all of the lugs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That IS the typical lug that gets sheared first though (when you see bolts that broke a lug versus broke in half).

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    All ammo used was Federal imported israeli made Independence 5.56 spec. ammo that I've had great success with in the past.
    Interesting to note that hes been using the same ammo that people are having problems with because its loaded too hot. Not to mention hes also running suppressed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Interesting to note that hes been using the same ammo that people are having problems with because its loaded too hot. Not to mention hes also running suppressed.
    If the S7 and Reliabolt are going to pop that easily (read: like anything else at best), then whats the "sell point"?

Filthy 14 went over 20K rounds on the replacement bolt. Maybe over 30K. It went nearly 15K on the original. I also know of people with tens of thousands of rounds on the same bolt.

I think the question has become...what does it really bring to the table aside from a finish that wipes clean easily, and a frontal profile that will make up for a mis-machined carrier cam track?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    If the S7 and Reliabolt are going to pop that easily (read: like anything else at best), then whats the "sell point"?

Filthy 14 went over 20K rounds on the replacement bolt. Maybe over 30K. It went nearly 15K on the original. I also know of people with tens of thousands of rounds on the same bolt.

I think the question has become...what does it really bring to the table aside from a finish that wipes clean easily, and a frontal profile that will make up for a mis-machined carrier cam track?

Well you have to give them credit for trying. On paper the Sharps Relia-Bolt sounds great. S7 is unquestionably a better bolt material and the lug design is a good idea. All companies can experience growing pains. They receive input from customers, broken bolts back, etc... then if they're a good company, which I believe that they are, they'll use that info to fix anything that may be wrong or improve the product. I imagine that there are quite a few of these out there being used now. As has been stated, one guy breaking two bolts in the same gun does not = a crappy bolt. There are too many other variables which must be taken into consideration. If Sharps were smart, they'd get cracking on some elaborate torture tests and plaster the vids/articles all over the net. So far I've found one person who's experienced problems out of the hundreds if not thousands that are out there. Everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions and blame the bolt when we really have no idea of every variable involved. I would like a Sharps representative to step in and do some 'splainin, because I bought two of these so I'm in $160 deep. The upside: They have a lifetime warranty - the downside: If they make cheesy bolts that fail after a few thousand rounds, they won't be in business for long enough to honor their warranty. I'm going to shoot my Relia-Bolt exclusively in the most violent gun I have (7.5" pistol) to see if I can get mine to break.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Well you have to give them credit for trying. On paper the Sharps Relia-Bolt sounds great. S7 is unquestionably a better bolt material and the lug design is a good idea. All companies can experience growing pains. They receive input from customers, broken bolts back, etc... then if they're a good company, which I believe that they are, they'll use that info to fix anything that may be wrong or improve the product. I imagine that there are quite a few of these out there being used now. As has been stated, one guy breaking two bolts in the same gun does not = a crappy bolt. There are too many other variables which must be taken into consideration. If Sharps were smart, they'd get cracking on some elaborate torture tests and plaster the vids/articles all over the net. So far I've found one person who's experienced problems out of the hundreds if not thousands that are out there. Everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions and blame the bolt when we really have no idea of every variable involved. I would like a Sharps representative to step in and do some 'splainin, because I bought two of these so I'm in $160 deep. The upside: They have a lifetime warranty - the downside: If they make cheesy bolts that fail after a few thousand rounds, they won't be in business for long enough to honor their warranty. I'm going to shoot my Relia-Bolt exclusively in the most violent gun I have (7.5" pistol) to see if I can get mine to break.
    Let's say there are hundreds out there. How many do you think actually get run hard?

I'm not dogging on Azimuth or Sharps. I am simply asking...what are the unintended consequences of this product? Are we finding them, now?

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast