Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE 17 July 2014 - Appears Gas Key Striking Lower- Input Please

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    Our COTS MK18 Uppers, Rifles, and Barrels do have a gas port diameter of .081". Yes, it is larger than the norm but we did this for good reasons. I think that we'd all agree that not all ammo will perform the same. Taking into consideration the short dwell times on a 10.3" barrel w/ carbine length gas system and which ammo is available on the commercial market, we had to optimize our gas port diameter to work with the widest range of ammunition which is available to end users and law enforcement agencies. The gas port diameter we've selected has proven to be very reliable with both 5.56 and most .223 ammunition. As a result of the reliability of our platform, the MK18 has been selected by many local, state, and federal agencies for duty purposes.

We welcome any and all feedback regarding our products. Both the good and the bad. It helps us become a better company and makes sure we stay on the cutting edge of manufacturing.

Semper Fi,

Joe Marler
    At the cost of greatly reduced parts life. Imo it's a cop out to cater to the weaker ammunition folks who choose to run shit ammunition. At .081" the greatly increased cyclic rate is actually detrimental to timing and bolt life. I know when I had my DD mk18 upper it was by far the least reliable upper I have ever had, averaged 1FTExtract every 2 mags with M193 ammunition, I also broke my bolt at 5-6,000 rounds. This was with the A5 system, had I been running a H2 and carbine spring I would have had even more FTE's and less bolt life.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 06-19-14 at 13:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I understand the problem that DD is going to have a great deal of stupid end users who expect to blast garbage ammo into the side of a hill with their Mk18 clone. But damn.... it's an ass ache for the rest of us.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Our COTS MK18 Uppers, Rifles, and Barrels do have a gas port diameter of .081". Yes, it is larger than the norm but we did this for good reasons. I think that we'd all agree that not all ammo will perform the same. Taking into consideration the short dwell times on a 10.3" barrel w/ carbine length gas system and which ammo is available on the commercial market, we had to optimize our gas port diameter to work with the widest range of ammunition which is available to end users and law enforcement agencies. The gas port diameter we've selected has proven to be very reliable with both 5.56 and most .223 ammunition. As a result of the reliability of our platform, the MK18 has been selected by many local, state, and federal agencies for duty purposes.

We welcome any and all feedback regarding our products. Both the good and the bad. It helps us become a better company and makes sure we stay on the cutting edge of manufacturing.

Semper Fi,

Joe Marler
    I understand what you are saying Joe. But, this is substantively punishing those who shoot full-power ammo (and also reducing parts life) to prevent complaints from the folks who insist on running their carbines dry with weak ammo.

Again, I understand why. Maybe consider developing an adjustable gas block or including a COTS solution from a partner company to address this?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Joe; Thanks for the response. I just sent you a PM and email asking for your opinion on my particular current issues... No luck getting a response from your Tech Support or Customer Service after several tries this week.

I went ahead and ordered a Syrac Gen II gas block from Brownell's. It will arrive Saturday.

So, the main question I still have after reading all the responses (thanks by the way), is the striking of my receiver in spec or not for this gun? The data from the BRL report is interesting but is it applicable for the 10.3 in barrel?

I know the Syrac will help but I am still suspicious that the key will continue to hit because, as mentioned, I put my BCM 11.5 upper (unsuppressed) on the lower and it also hit though not as bad... The BCM upper is not overgassed...

All I want to do is shoot the dang gun and keep it around as long as possible especially the lower as it my only registered SBR lower at this point.

Lastly, regarding the use of a suppressor, I had this debate last night with a guy at the LGS. He wondered what DD would help with the issue, especially because I am running a suppressor? I don't know yet. But, seems to me, the 10.3 is run by most folks with a suppressor more times than not so... I would think that should be considered but, their house, their rules...

Semper Fi,

Joe Marler

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    How firm is the buffer cap on the end of your buffer? Is it mis shaped at all? I did, one time, see a guy's buffer on an over gassed suppressed AR that had actually mushroomed in shape from the beating of the cycle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Joe; Thanks for the response. I just sent you a PM and email asking for your opinion on my particular current issues... No luck getting a response from your Tech Support or Customer Service after several tries this week.

I went ahead and ordered a Syrac Gen II gas block from Brownell's. It will arrive Saturday.

So, the main question I still have after reading all the responses (thanks by the way), is the striking of my receiver in spec or not for this gun? The data from the BRL report is interesting but is it applicable for the 10.3 in barrel?

I know the Syrac will help but I am still suspicious that the key will continue to hit because, as mentioned, I put my BCM 11.5 upper (unsuppressed) on the lower and it also hit though not as bad... The BCM upper is not overgassed...

All I want to do is shoot the dang gun and keep it around as long as possible especially the lower as it my only registered SBR lower at this point.

Lastly, regarding the use of a suppressor, I had this debate last night with a guy at the LGS. He wondered what DD would help with the issue, especially because I am running a suppressor? I don't know yet. But, seems to me, the 10.3 is run by most folks with a suppressor more times than not so... I would think that should be considered but, their house, their rules...
    I think it should be obvious to a manufacturer that ANY gun with a barrel of less than 13.7-14.5" has drastically decreased utility as a carbine UNLESS it is suppressed. DD fails to recognize this at their own peril.

Why else would somebody settle for increased recoil, decreased range of operable conditions with regard to ammo pressure, decreased terminal effective range of ammo, and increased muzzle flash/blast? Those who buy and do not plan on putting a can on should be educated. This is like Porsche putting some Perelli P-Zero Corsas on a 911 GT3 and the new owner complains that the vehicle has little grip in the wet, gets crappy gas mileage, has poor tire life, and is noisy inside. To address these concerns of the uninformed buyer is to dilute what makes that car a legend in its own right.

DD is too good of a company to have this philosophy.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 06-19-14 at 13:46.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Appears nominal to me... It was purchased new not too long ago from BCM.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How firm is the buffer cap on the end of your buffer? Is it mis shaped at all? I did, one time, see a guy's buffer on an over gassed suppressed AR that had actually mushroomed in shape from the beating of the cycle.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Any new info on this? I've used a couple without issue, but just in case I run into something similar...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The entire gun is on it's way back to Daniel Defense. They agree, it's not normal. Joe and others at DD have made the commitment to get it right. They have really been helpful.

I'll post an update when they figure out what the issues are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I understand the problem that DD is going to have a great deal of stupid end users who expect to blast garbage ammo into the side of a hill with their Mk18 clone. But damn.... it's an ass ache for the rest of us.
    Yup. Stupid consumers are the problem here.

Remember when the KAC SR15 came out? All kinds of people were complaining about how finicky it was with ammo. KAC reps replied to them and said that it's ridiculous for users to feed a race horse that cost a significant amount of money the cheapest ammo you can buy. And this made the critics even more mad. So they eventually opened up the gas port on their production models.

There is a large crowd in the AR community who believe that only rifles that will happily eat any and all ammo, no matter how crappy it is, are the only ones worth buying. And, unfortunately, they have a huge amount of influence...

So, we get to deal with crap like this as a result.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast