Thread: M4 feedramp anodizing wear?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

M4 feedramp anodizing wear?

Noticed some wear on my 6920's lower right feed ramp after firing it.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but it is the best I could do with an iPhone.

Now the weird part is is that there wasn't any wear in that spot yesterday when I wiped all the old oil off and re-lubed it with fresh stuff.

It had to have happened today when I was testing out some reduced loads in once fired Tula cases. I fired 5 rounds of the handloads from the magazine while manually racking the bolt each time.

Anyway, do you guys think the steel case dinged/scraped the anodizing like that? At first I though it was case material that was deposited on the ramp, but I tried to get it off without success.

I didn't think the steel case would be hard enough to mark the ramp like that so I am not 100% certain it is actual damage.

But in case it is, would that be a "weak spot" that I would have to pay attention to from now on? Like would it be more prone to chip or wear further or whatever?

Weird reloading experiments aside, I consider myself relatively knowledgeable on ARs but this is something I have no idea about.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    What brand is the upper?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Whole rifle is factory Colt 6920 bought in 2009, has about 6k rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    What mags, should be fine though.

Most mags like pmags sit the rounds high enough that the M4 feedramps could be removed and you would never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Early 2010 production PMAG.

Yeah I hit it with a bright light it's definitely worn/nicked anodizing.

I had to trim a few cases maybe there was a burr left over that I didn't remove completely.

I'm not too terribly concerned about it, I just never saw firsthand or heard anyone talk about wear like that.