Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why PMAGs are better than aluminum USGI

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    Eventually you have to come around to the science behind polymers and understand that extensive testing and understanding of the composition of the polymer(s) used to make the magazine is enough to tell you that PMAGs will not crumble into dust after 10 years from routine use. As with many of the environmental concerns expressed by some people about diapers, plastic bags, and other non-biodegradable polymer products sitting in landfills for a thousand years, PMAGs will be around long after aluminum magazines have turned into rust, crumbled, and blown away. Both will last beyond our serviceable lifetimes, but there's no reason to worry about the polymer degrading if you understand the material that they're made of.

As far as cracks and the military keeping abused PMAGs in the inventory, Duane and Magpul have pointed out a number of times that the polymer basis of PMAGs helps prevent this. When an aluminum magazine is bent or dented, it's difficult to tell that it's no longer serviceable. If a PMAG is misshapen beyond the point where it will function, the polymer will break, making it immediately obvious that it is no longer serviceable. So if it doesn't crack or break, it will still work. Even when the feedlips crack, they will still function until they snap off, at which point it's obviously unserviceable.
    Come now, we all know they will keep broken Pmags around and issue them out.

It's not uncommon to be issue GI mags that don't even feed round properly, Mags that are known to be not working are still cycled out to soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Come now, we all know they will keep broken Pmags around and issue them out.
    Well, since "they" is me, I can tell you that I'm not going to let that happen in my unit. No offense to our veterans from the '80s and '90s, or even the early 2000s, but a lot of things have changed as the war has progressed. Our veterans of multiple deployments have learned a lot of hard lessons, and most leaders don't tolerate that kind of thing anymore. For my last couple deployments, I've seen units issue seven new magazines in the boxes to each soldier. I told my guys that I want to order six thousand M3 PMAGs (MCT if we can get them) as we prep for possible deployment. They're going to have to figure out how to get them, but we have the funding for them.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I brought my own 7 gen1 PMAGs with window but I replaced them before the election with 50 more. I have deployed with these twice to Iraq and this is their third go. I would have brought the M3's but I have had these in multiple firefights. Also I have 12 loaded GI mags in my trucks just in case but when it gets hot those GI mags get hot if you do not have gloves. One of the things I like about PMAGs.

I have a few hundred PMAGs at home I might never have to use my stash of new GI mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    Well, since "they" is me, I can tell you that I'm not going to let that happen in my unit. No offense to our veterans from the '80s and '90s, or even the early 2000s, but a lot of things have changed as the war has progressed. Our veterans of multiple deployments have learned a lot of hard lessons, and most leaders don't tolerate that kind of thing anymore. For my last couple deployments, I've seen units issue seven new magazines in the boxes to each soldier. I told my guys that I want to order six thousand M3 PMAGs (MCT if we can get them) as we prep for possible deployment. They're going to have to figure out how to get them, but we have the funding for them.

What about us from the 70's? Before that? Do I detect ageism? Are you telling me I'm I too old to be here? Where the hell is my safe space?

Seriously, it's gratifying to see that we actually CAN AND DO learn from experience. With over 41 years of serving the Corps, I am still working with Marines at Quantico as a contractor and I am in awe of the generation we have serving our nation today. Don't listen to anyone's bullshit about how we were better "back in the day."
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456