Page 142 of 408 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have to say that my stay here on M4C has been an education in getting the better stuff over the clutter. My stay has also caused me to develop a shuttering sensation when I find myself going to gun stores and pawn shops. These shutters generally come about when my I hear:

"All the parts in the Bushmaster will last you a lifetime." --WalMart--.

'Yea, I need'sum 9mm SHELLS for that Kel-Tech I got from Uns'." Customer at a pawn shop that advertises it has 1,000's of guns, which they don't.

But there is a bright side.

Three of my local gun shops know me as an informed and question asking customer that doesn't dither with stupid crap. One a frequent knows to cut the "sell you what is cheap for you" gimmick and goes straight to the quality stuff he has.

Three weeks ago I encountered this:

"Got some Daniel Defense in the other day." Checked it out, loved where the VFG was.

The customer beside me, who was oogling at the Bushmasters, said, "I wouldn't pay that much for an 'AH-OR' when he could get a quality Bushmaster for much less." I asked him how many M4's he has and he replied he was looking at getting his second Carb'ean' in a couple of days.

"So far, I think I've put ah thousand SHELLS through my DPMS with only about a handful of jams when I got it two years ago. But I wantin' the snake. I hear they're better."

By now my shuttering is approaching a uncontrollable state that it could appear I suffering from narcolepsy. This guy, maybe in his mid to late thirties, has that heavy Tennessee drawl, was just so proud of his coming purchase that I believe he missed my look of skepticism that should have begged at least a curt question.

My friend over the counter asked me after a bit of a pause, "How many rounds have you in that Noveske/LMT Hybrid of yours?"

"Since last month, about 3,000...more or less."

Said Snake Doctor in med-school asked me, "What is a Noveske/LMT Hybrid?"

Grabbed my phone showed him a picture he still wasn't phased, even after describing what I put in it and why.

"Has it jammed?"

"Not since I cured a small problem when I assembled it completely." I then told him how much I paid for it after it was all said and done. He turned pale.

"I can't see paying that much for ah gun."

The Bushmaster he was getting/got was around $700, used. The Daniel Defense I had in my hands was $1399. I guess he will never know what a M4 that doesn't jam is like.

But in hindsight: it gives someone that shoots way more than that guy a chance to get a quality weapon for a better bang for the buck. That same time frame I walked out with my M&P Shield. A quick cure to my shuttering.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Couple of days ago I was buying a sling and a looker (not a customer) made repeated remarks about the "AK" on the counter, at least seven or eight remarks, every one referring to the "AK". With every remark the guy behind the counter told him it was an AR. Didn't register. Even now I am sure it is still an "AK" to the looker.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A few weeks ago I was working at the gun shop when a guy came in asking about price and availability of a BCM Mid length carbine.
    Me: "Why do you want a mid length?"
    Him: "Because I want to put a bayonet on it."
    Me: "Why do you want to put a bayonet on it?"
    Him: " 'Cuz I want to!"

Okay...

Looking on our distributor's website, they listed 16" and 14.5" models.

Him: "I don't want to deal with the NFS* stuff."
    * I forget the actual acronym he used but it was not "NFA."
    I corrected him and explained that it had a permanently attached flash hider and was legal because the barrel was 16" OAL.

The exact model he wanted wasn't in stock so we started discussing his options. He already has a S&W M&P15. I told him he could:
    a) call Monday about seeing if the distributor will be getting some soon.
    b) settle on a different model that was in stock
    or
    c) buy the upper, use it on his S&W lower until he can get another lower

He mistook buying a new upper with buying a new barrel and asked if he bought a new barrel, could we swap it out for him.

I again corrected him.

This guy is a known "stroker."

Stroker: noun A person who frequents gun shops, picks up nearly every gun, dry fires them, disassembles them and often cannot reassemble them without help and will often ask for price & availability of firearms they have no intention of buying, at all or from the shop they are in.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    The other day I walked into a gunshop where a customer was tearing an employee a new asshole about why Century AKs are trash, because of canted gas blocks, out of spec mag wells, non chrome lined barrels, etc. and how IO Inc. sucks ass, and Arsenal, along with Polytech, and parts kits are the only AKs worth buying.

I thought that was cool.

Then another customer was smilin' with a Taurus PT1911 was walkin' out, and the AK lovin' dude walked past him (staring at the Taurus the whole time) then walked past me and I heard him mutter ''Retard."
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 08-17-12 at 20:25.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    So at work we have this cop who always comes here and sits in our breakroom, don't ask why he just does.

Well tonight I overheard him on the phone talking about a gun he confiscated. It was a stainles .45 sig P222......he was talking about how bad he wished he could keep it because you know....the .45 will blow a door of its hinges and knock anyone off their feet if you hit them anywhere.....

I swear some people are just dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    A few weeks ago I was working at the gun shop when a guy came in asking about price and availability of a BCM Mid length carbine.
    Me: "Why do you want a mid length?"
    Him: "Because I want to put a bayonet on it."
    Me: "Why do you want to put a bayonet on it?"
    Him: " 'Cuz I want to!"

Okay...
    Okay, so the customer wanted to be able to attach a bayonet. It's his gun, and his money, why does it matter?

I admit, I haven't worked in retail in 20 years but I seem to remember a phrase "the customer is always right"...just saying...

Feedback Score
    I worked at a shop in Allen Park for a while, and had a guy bring in some Taurus 9mm (compact size, I forget the exact model) for cleaning. Just looking at it all put together I could tell it was pretty gross...

Anyways, tear into it for a full detail clean, and there was shit GROWING down in the sear housing and in some of the crevices in the slide that don't see much action. I couldn't believe how absurdly filthy this thing was, and he was carrying it the whole time.

Long story short, spent forever and a day cleaning it out and got it back together and reminded him that quick shot of brake cleaner now and then wouldn't hurt...

And to talk about the quality of Taurus, the thumb safety spring was pretty much spent and the detent was disintegrated. Luckily I had a spring and detent on hand for a different gun that fit without much issue. Apparently he's had it for a couple years and put 500-ish rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sometime last month I was at one of the gun stores I frequent, checking up on ammo prices and such. In the gun room were a couple customers, but one that stood out as a Fudd. Overweight and aged.

Forgive me if I can't remember the details of: If it was his revolver he carried, or one the of the store's that he and his buddy/regular guy at the counter were looking at. Apparently they were talking about shot placement and caliber, one of the gents behind me saying 9mm and lots of it was great.

Well, said Fudd takes his/stores revolver, turns on the laser and, while muzzle me in the back and the other guy beside him, points it at the far wall and instantly claims:

"When I worked for the feds, I could put all six rounds in a group the size of that laser."

I wanted to scream bull-shit, but I didn't want to draw attention and have people noticing that my hand had stopped from sweeping my outer shirt.

After Fudd left (didn't notice if it took his revolver or not for I was still looking at magazines on the wall) I looked at my friend who works the counter and we both rolled our eyes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Okay, so the customer wanted to be able to attach a bayonet. It's his gun, and his money, why does it matter?

I admit, I haven't worked in retail in 20 years but I seem to remember a phrase "the customer is always right"...just saying...
    Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what he attaches to the gun but it was more the way he said it.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what he attaches to the gun but it was more the way he said it.
    I understand what you're saying.

Page 142 of 408 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast