Page 200 of 408 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    Think about it....woken up at 3am out of deep sleep..no...you might not immediately have the fine motor skills to flick off that tiny safety. You are trying to catch your snap and probably get on your feet...you might only have seconds. A safety or de-cocker is just one more thing to fool with.

What is hard to understand about that?

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Think about it....woken up at 3am out of deep sleep..no...you might not immediately have the fine motor skills to flick off that tiny safety. You are trying to catch your snap and probably get on your feet...you might only have seconds. A safety or de-cocker is just one more thing to fool with.

-brickboy240

I think I understand what you're saying. Piss poor training leads to piss poor performance. Another reason why BoringGuy45 (and many others) try and advocate the taking of at least 'a' firearms class.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

-brickboy240
    Like I said if you are so groggy that you do not have the alertness to flick the safety lever(which is generally right at your thumb and easily accessible) then how do you plan to line up your sights, identify your target, identify what is behind your target, and then engage the target, then control the recoil of the handgun to line up a consecutive shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Like I said if you are so groggy that you do not have the alertness to flick the safety lever(which is generally right at your thumb and easily accessible) then how do you plan to line up your sights, identify your target, identify what is behind your target, and then engage the target, then control the recoil of the handgun to line up a consecutive shot?
    From a safety perspective, I agree. From a reality perspective, nothing or few things ever happen as planned. Especially as the "victim" of a home invasion scenario. If you're going to go through that criteria as a required list before engaging every time, you'll probably find yourself losing.

The best bet is early detection and alert measures so that you aren't surprised by the first punch or stab. Remarkably cheap and effective, with the pistol/gun playing only a portion.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Okay, something that some customers say that absolutely drives me nuts: "I need a gun with a safety because I have kids in the house." Wait, are you telling me that you plan to leave a loaded firearm laying around unsecured because you think that a kid can't figure out how to work a safety? In some cases, the answer to that is yes. I told customers, after getting a request for a gun w/ a safety to keep their kids safe, that they plan on keeping it loaded and in a nightstand drawer with the safety on. I try to warn them: You might want to keep it unloaded and in some kind of locked container if you have kids in the house. Then, I get the reply, "No, I'm kind of on a budget and can't afford a safe. That's why I need a gun with a safety."

When I hear this, I just want to say, "You do not have the intelligence or common sense to own a weapon. Please leave." In cases like this, I DO usually stall and try to suggest that maybe they should take some gun safety courses before they purchase a weapon. A lot of times, that actually works, thank God.

We wonder why the anti-gunners are always using the "You're more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than a bad guy," argument; it's because for many, that's completely true.
    As noble as your intentions were, the reality is the guy left with the following thought in his head, "That douchebag needs to get off his high horse and quit being a blowhard. I can get it cheaper at Dick's Sporting goods anyway..."
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/08/20/...ont-believe-3/

I hear most of these constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    As noble as your intentions were, the reality is the guy left with the following thought in his head, "That douchebag needs to get off his high horse and quit being a blowhard. I can get it cheaper at Dick's Sporting goods anyway..."
    It's sad but true. After 10 years of working at gun stores I've learned its just not worth trying to correct customers and their misconceptions. You can offer friendly advice and some will take it, but most will do exactly what you posted because no one wants to hear they are wrong.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 08-21-14 at 00:12.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    Fine with me. If he won't listen to me, or refuses to consider safety classes, I've potentially saved myself and my store from a lawsuit when I sold the guy the gun with the safety and implied (by not arguing with him) that his idea of safety was perfectly valid, after his kid shoots himself. I'll let Dick's or Cabelas get the lawsuit. They have more money than us anyway.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Fine with me. If he won't listen to me, or refuses to consider safety classes, I've potentially saved myself and my store from a lawsuit when I sold the guy the gun with the safety and implied (by not arguing with him) that his idea of safety was perfectly valid, after his kid shoots himself. I'll let Dick's or Cabelas get the lawsuit. They have more money than us anyway.
    To be honest it would be a real trick for that guy to buy a pistol at Dicks. Last few stores I've been in they never had any. All their lower display cases were filled with "high" dollar optics.

Now, Cabela's and Bass Pro, sure, if he run into an employee that doesn't give a damn they might sell a pistol to that guy. I can tell you from personal experience selling firearms from the inside of a major corporation that part of the training they give you is determining when to say no to a customer wanting to buy a firearm. It has nothing to do with Federal laws, just has to do with common sense, you have the right to tell a customer that you won't sell the firearm based on how they act while holding it or what they say. Sort of go's along with preventing straw purchasing.
    Last edited by MorphCross; 08-21-14 at 01:20.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Picked up a FFL transfer at my LGS and the guy behind the counter started insulting everything about it.

Seems like a sure formula for keeping customers around.

Feedback Score
    So taking a firearm off safe is a fine motor skill now? hahaha. Ok.

Page 200 of 408 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast